• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

BBK-SSI intake

power chair drags
New User
Posted: 09/29/09 01:27 PM

I tried to use a BBK-SSI intake on '88 5.0 Mustang. One of the many problems was it was sucking oil up through the PCV valve into the upper plenum. Has anyone had experience with the problem and know a cure? BBK is no help at all.  

87trip-black
New User
Posted: 09/29/09 06:41 PM

don't use bbk intake plenums, lol?? before you go any further you have to understand what a pcv valve is for,As an engine runs, high-pressure gases are contained within the combustion chamber and prevented from passing into the crankcase,  However, some amount of gas always leaks past the piston rings into the crankcase. This amount is very small in a new or properly rebuilt engine, provided that the piston rings and cylinder walls are correctly "broken in", and increases as the engine wears. Scratches on the cylinder walls or piston rings, such as those caused by foreign objects entering the engine, can cause large amounts of leakage. This leaked gas is known as blow-by because the pressure within the cylinders blows it by the piston rings. if you have oil in your intake plenum it could mean different things, you could be overfilling your oilpan if your not using a windage tray and the crank could be splashing and causing it to go into the vacuum lines... which is bad, you could try and switch to synthetic oil so its a thinner , if the problem persists unfortunatley it might be time to take off your heads and check your pistons ,rings and blow-by but personally i think a little oil in the intake isn't gunna hurt anything its only gunna cause lubrication of the cylinder but if you have massive amounts then abide by above lol
hope i can help Smile  

power chair drags
New User
Posted: 10/15/09 01:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. There is nothing wrong with my motor. I just finished Drag Week with no problems. I would like to know what you meant by not running the BBK plenums. As a note I  have been running a GT-40 intake with no problems. I wanted to try the BBK because of the size of the runners in the intake. They are a better match for my heads. (Trick Flow Alum.) I have talked to other people with the same problem but no one has a solution and BBK will not even answer my E-mails. Anyone have a cure?  

brute290
New User
Posted: 11/19/09 01:12 PM

Any idea why my motor runs crappy at start up(won't idle, runs on 3-4 cylinders) and after hitting 180 or better it runs fine, I have a BBK SSI intake and had no problems until I put it on. I first supected a vacuum leak so I sprayed carb cleaner all around, no surge in idle was detected. I put on a new coolant temp sensor as well as air temp in the manifold. I also put on a new Idle Air Control. Still no luck. I was going to change the dizzy next but why would it run better after getting warm?? I have a RJM Ryan Mcormack EFI harness. I had a buddy come over with a code reader and found nothing.   If anyone might render some assitance I would appriciate it. brute290@yahoo.com as I said any help is appriciated.
Bill  

bdaz302
New User
Posted: 12/03/09 09:08 PM

The easiest way to check for a blowby condition is to pull your dipstick tube out with the engine running. If the blowby is bad enough due to internal engine damage then you will get huffs of smoke coming out of the dipstick tube. Dont go tearing your engine down if this does not occur. Make sure your vent side of the crankcase is free of debree and flows properly. If not the pcv will actually put a large amount of manifold vaccum and suck the oil in.  

87trip-black
New User
Posted: 01/28/10 10:38 PM

sb3854, i may have a solution to your problm i just need you to check one thing, i myslef am also running a gt-40 intake setup with a larger throttle body, some foxbody mustangs ive seen including my own have a breather tube running from the top of the throttle body down to a breather on the valve cover, if you were over filling your oil pan or your crank is spinning oil up your valves , this would cause excess oil in the valve cover itself, with  a strong vacuum and due to the large runners of the bbk ssi ( or maybe the design ) oil could be sucked into the intake that way and sit in the bottom ( low spots ) of the plenum, this effect has a a scientific name i just can't think of right now, but a good example would be a bottom feed paint gun or airbrush, when air rushes past something it cause's vacuum, turning your intake into a engine oil spray gun via throttle body breather. the way to check this would be to remove the intake hose at the throttle body and check to see if theres dirty oil on the front side of the.. throttle valve ( most look like a round gold flap, unless you have a holley body )
hope i can help, sorry for the late post and i was just kidding around lol

Kevin88
New User
Posted: 03/16/13 03:23 PM

i have the same issue with my ssi intake the fix is easy if you look at the intake there is no baffles or screen where the PCV valve goes in look on summits web page and get one with a fine screen and prob solved i have had no luck with the emailing of BBK but if you call and speak with TEC they answer all questions you have  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 03/16/13 04:43 PM

Kevin88

Please be careful, you just woke up a 3 year old post!