• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

the best mods/bolt ons for a 93GT

Pro50Driver1993
User
Posted: 01/08/04 02:01 PM

i am in the same situation is 93GTkid, I am also 15 with a 93 gt (got it for a 13th birthday present). I am on a budget of $1300 untill the summer, when i get a job.This is what i have so far(if you agree with it or not tell,if you knoe of better products please tell me):

1) 2 chamber American Thunder

2) BBK 70mm tb

3) K&N cold air intake

4) Steeda Tri-Ax shifter

5) Bassani X-pipe

6) 3'' cowl

7) Saleen wing

8) Underdrive pulleys

9) 3.73 gears( i was thinking richmond gears)

10) And i'd like to save about $300 or so for a deck

the body stuff including the lights can wait(there just on my list) i am mainly trying to focus on the engine an i was wonderin what you guys think is the best intake manifold for my mods, thanks

Pro50

OrangeCobra
User
Posted: 01/08/04 04:53 PM

heres my pics for bang for the buck=

2 chamber American Thunder

Bassani X-pipe

3.73 gears

K&N cold air intake

and if you have the money get the shifter as it will save you money on third gear cluster sets.i like the pro 50 shifter been using it for 5 yrs now,(4 cars later) good luck!

Only little boys wear bowties!

Tired85
User
Posted: 01/08/04 07:16 PM

I'm a little surprised by your choices.  Where would you rate headers and underdrive pullies?  Any header recommendations?

Also, a free upgrade is bumping the timing to 14 degrees.  That's supposed to be good for about 7 horsepower.

OrangeCobra
User
Posted: 01/08/04 08:43 PM

WELL I WENT WITH MY CHOICES CAUSE THEY WORKED REALLY GOOD ON MY 86 NOTCH.HEADERS ARE A GREAT IDEA,I WAS JUST TRYING TO STAY ON HIS BUDGET.HAD A SET OF MAC NICKLE PLATED SHORTYS ON MY CAR(EQUALS) ,THEY WORKED WELL FOR ME.I FOUND MY EXHAUST COMPLETE IN ONE OF THOSE CAR PART MAGS -HIGH FLOW H-PIPE, FLOW CAT BACK (2 CHAM)AND HEADERS FOR $350 .THAT 14 DEGREE TRICK ONLY WORKS ON SOME OF THE CARS .MINE WOULDNT TAKE IT W/SUPER.NVER WENT THE UNDERDRIVE ROUTE.DONT KNOW PEOPLE SAY THEY WORK ,I DONT KNOW.THE ONE THING ABOUT BUMPING THE TIMING IS THAT YOU HAVE TO RUN SUPER TO PREVENT DETONATION!  

Tired85
User
Posted: 01/08/04 09:10 PM

Once I took my timing to 14 I always ran higher octane gas.  It worked pretty well for me.  I could feel the difference. 

The same with the underdrive puleys.  It made a noticable difference. I was actually really surprised in both cases.  I didn't think the change would be noticable.  

Of course, maybe it just seemed quicker because I wanted it to seem quicker.

I would switch my car over to the improved dual exhaust if it weren't for the ridiculous California smog regulations.  They make it really difficult to modify your exhaust and the '85 Mustang has dual ehxhaust into a single cat and then back into dual mufflers, so I went for a massive cat.  It made a surprisingly big diference too.  I'd go for true dual exhaust in a minute if I could though.

Edited 1/8/2004 11:15:37 PM ET by Tired85  

OrangeCobra
User
Posted: 01/08/04 09:22 PM

THAT SUCKS.MY FIRST STANG WAS AN 85 TTOP CAR.MAN I LOVED THAT CAR.SHES IN HEAVEN NOW.GOT A$$ ENDED BY SOME IDIOT,TOTALED THE CAR . I WAS HEART BROKEN .STILL MISS THAT CAR!WHAT ELSE IS DONE TO IT?  

Tired85
User
Posted: 01/08/04 10:29 PM

I have an '85 LX hatchback/sunroof with a T5.  It still has the original 7.5 inch 2.73 rear end so I went for a torquey Crane PowerMax 2020 (.530 lift, 262, 270 duration) cam. I also have JBA shorty headers, Edelbrock Performer with EGR, March underdrive pullies, flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers, Catco 3 inch CAT, pocket ported Windsor Jr's, Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rocker arms, Maximum motorsports strut tower supports and 4 point K-member support and BBK subframe connectors.

It goes okay I guess...  If I get a chance to switch over to a 3.55 rear end (wife and 2 1/2 year old rugrat allowing), I'll probably switch to a higher horsepower cam....   that's the pipe dream keeping me going between diaper changes anyhow...

Since I believe that CA smog rules limit my manfold choice to the Edelbrok Performer EGR or a Weiand Stealth (EGR version), my cam choice is limited by the RPM range of my manifold.  I chose the Edelbrock because I wasn't sure of the hood clearance on the Weiand.  That's why the 5,000 RPM Crane 2020 made sense.  Later, If I change to a higher RPM CAM, I may go with the Weiand Stealth, since I now believe it sits as low or lower than the original Ford manifold.  Any ideas on the Stealth vs. the Performer EGR (height and performance wise)?

t.c.

Edited 1/9/2004 12:31:46 AM ET by Tired85

Edited 1/9/2004 12:35:49 AM ET by Tired85  

Pro50Driver1993
User
Posted: 01/11/04 08:13 PM

What is the better intake manifold? 5.0 L codra or gt40? And what is the gt40 upper and lower?  

Blown93Cobra
User
Posted: 01/11/04 09:51 PM

I have a Stealth intake on my Coupe. I have a 1" spacer on it and a Holley 650 DP. My air cleaner is a 4 1/2" K&N Extream with a flat plate. I have a 4" Cowl Hood. The air cleaner has about a 1/2" to 3/4" clearence at the front of it. You could set you car up with out the spacer, and get a drop plate for your air cleaner and I think it would fit under a stock hood. Performance? I really don't know yet. It's on the car but I haven't had the time or money to finish the car yet. I have a 2 year old at home too. I feel lucky to still have the car let alone finish it. They say the Stealth is good to 6800 rpm. I have an Anderson N-5p cam that has a 6500 rpm shift point so it should be a good match. Time and ET will tell if it is or not.

Edited 1/12/2004 1:22:34 AM ET by Blown93Cobra  

Tired85
User
Posted: 01/11/04 10:31 PM

That sounds like a very nice setup.  Would a drop plate on the air cleaner work with the stock air cleaner?  I'm in California and the smog rules make it difficult to change some really simple things. 

So you're using a carburetor and a supercharger.  Sorry to ask again (I think you mentioned which model you had on a previous post) but what make/model supercharger do you use?

I'm probably not going to supercharge, but I can always fantasize.

Off to watch my Hotwheels Highway 35 "World race" video with my 2/12 year old.  Don't laugh too hard, after seeing it fifty times, it is not nearly as mindnumbing as Barney.

Pro50Driver1993
User
Posted: 01/12/04 01:12 PM

what is the gt40 upper and lower (intake) mean?  

Tired85
User
Posted: 01/12/04 01:40 PM

The upper and lower intakes are intake manifolds for EFI systems.  I don't know much about the different options on EFI setups, but I believe that there are two parts to the manifolds on the Mustangs (upper & lower). 

You should probably start a new thread on this where you describe that you are comparing the Cobra and GT 40 upper and lower manifolds.  Also, ask if someone can explain the RPM ranges where the manifolds perform well.  Since your motor is relatively stock, be careful to avoid parts that are for extremely high RPM use.  Try and get parts which all perform well in the same RPM range.  Don't select parts just because they promise a higher horsepower number (they are usually only attainable at RPM's which the rest of your components will not perform well at).  Your stock 93 heads have a very restrictive exhaust port which severely limits horsepower over 4800 RPM, so a high RPM manifold is not going to work really well for you.

CopCoupe
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/12/04 03:46 PM

"GT-40" is the name Ford gave the intake design.

The "lower" intake bolts up between the heads with 8 runners(air passages) diverting off to each cylinder head port.

The "upper" intake (plenum) bolts on top of the "lower" intake with the 8 runners converging from the lower intake up to the 1 main throttle body/egr-spacer opening (this is the large intake piece right on top of the engine, that you see when you open the hood.)

Pro50Driver1993
User
Posted: 01/14/04 03:32 PM

Do you know the name of the stock manifold? How many RPMs is it good for and about how much horsepower can it handle?  

CopCoupe
Enthusiast
Posted: 01/15/04 10:42 AM

It just refered to as "stock".

It doesn't flow very well compared to what's available, usually falls flat around 5K.  I don't think it's good for more than 300 flywheel horespower ......... on engine alone.

123 Last