• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Ford parts interchangeability.

Rgee55
New User
Posted: 05/23/05 10:17 PM

I'm new to Fords and recently purchased a 1965 Mustang coupe with a 1971 302 engine, Top Loader 4 speed and stock rear end.  I need help determining what parts are interchangeable with the early Mustangs as follows:

- Which late model transmissions will bolt up to the 302 (I'm interested in a 5 or 6 speed trans)?

- Are any parts from the Cleveland 351 interchangeable with the 302?  

- Wich rear ends will bolt up in place of the stock unit?  I would like to install a Ford 9 inch unit to handle 450 HP.  Will it fir without serious mods?  (I'm a do-it-yourselfer).  

- I've been told that a brake power assist unit will not fit in the 1965 Mustang due to clearance problems.  Is this correct?

- I would like to replace the stock mechanical clutch linkage with a hydraulic unit.  Where can I find a good hydraulic clutch kit? 

- I'm thinking about putting the 347 stroker kit in the 302.  Does anyone have experience with this setup and is it worth having?  What heads did you use? 

7seven
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/24/05 08:46 AM

I'm new to Fords and recently purchased a 1965 Mustang coupe with a 1971 302 engine, Top Loader 4 speed and stock rear end.  I need help determining what parts are interchangeable with the early Mustangs as follows:

- Which late model transmissions will bolt up to the 302 (I'm interested in a 5 or 6 speed trans)?

A- You can use a T-5 or 5-spd Tremec trans.  If you use the '71 block, then you'll probably need to change the input shaft & bellhousing.  I'm sure you can locate all required parts from most Mustang-oriented speed shops.

- Are any parts from the Cleveland 351 interchangeable with the 302?  

A- No.  You can use the heads with some mods, but w/ the really good quality aftermarket heads availiable today, why would you?

- Wich rear ends will bolt up in place of the stock unit?  I would like to install a Ford 9 inch unit to handle 450 HP.  Will it fir without serious mods?  (I'm a do-it-yourselfer).  

A- The 9" will do just fine.  Just make sure it's a posi unit for obvious reasons. 

- I've been told that a brake power assist unit will not fit in the 1965 Mustang due to clearance problems.  Is this correct?

A- This I don't know.  Sorry.

- I would like to replace the stock mechanical clutch linkage with a hydraulic unit.  Where can I find a good hydraulic clutch kit? 

A- The Mustang, even through the glory years of the '87-'93, and even the '94-'95's all used cable clutches.  I don't know where to recommend that you find one, but I'd stick to the cable if I were you.

- I'm thinking about putting the 347 stroker kit in the 302.  Does anyone have experience with this setup and is it worth having?  What heads did you use? 

A- I've found that the 331 is a more reliable combo. for a stroker engine.  If you do opt for the 347, make plenty of phone calls and find out as much as possible before you throw your money their way.  All 347's aren't equal. 

Good luck.

ralphie
User
Posted: 05/24/05 05:50 PM

any 5 or 6 speed will work as long as it is for a mustang.  all you need is the bell housing for a 302,   for which ever trans you use   you also need the clutch for that trans (10 spline for t5's and 26 spline for tko and 6 speed).  as far as the clutch cable, linkage, hyd.  which ever you go with,  it must match your bell housing.  i recomend adapting the firewall and pedal for a cable,  it will work with all the late model bells. i beleive it is wilwood that sells an aftermarket race type hydro. clutch pedal system.   for the rearend it has to be for a 65 or 66 mustang as they had narrower rearends than the rest of them. that is probably correct about the brake booster though i dont know for sure.   the 5's and 6's where so small in the engine bay that you have to cut out the shock towers to put a big block in them.  351c to 302?  heads and bell housings are about it.  you could put 2 barrel clever heads on the 331 and the would flow way more than enough you would have a boss 302 stroker.  you can interchange the crank also with machine work.  i beleive it is the 351c or 400m  crank and 400 chevy rods makes a nice long rod stroker

Rgee55
New User
Posted: 05/25/05 10:22 PM

Thank you.  You've been very helpful.  

Rgee55
New User
Posted: 05/25/05 10:23 PM

Thank you.  I appreciate your help.