• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

from GT to cobra?

cobra4.6
New User
Posted: 09/17/11 04:27 AM

hi i just wanted to know if i could turn my stock 1998 4.6 into a cobra and if i can what things do i need to do get?  

96gtsleeper
New User
Posted: 09/16/12 08:46 PM

it sure could be done your basically doing what the factory already has done. engine, engine harness, fuel pump like a 255lph would work, ecm, multifunction control relay, that one located under the fender on the passenger side. your best bet is a donor car or if you find everything in one car at the wrecking yard make sure u get eveything at once. you can also search on here for whats needed in the search icon they have done an articale on engine swaps. good luck on the project  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 09/19/12 12:33 PM

Welcome aboard cobra4.6:

Sometime you can go to the junk yard and really make some deals with them. You know what your looking for so what the heck. By the body or whats left of it, as long as you have what you want and need. I know guys that have made deals with the junk yards and built Race cars from them. A lot of these guys will make nice deals.

Please hear me out. You know what you what and need. When you go to a junk yard to purchase a complete car with the engine or not. Don't tell them your looking for any specific part. That could jack the price up. Look at that car you want and check it out for your parts if what you are looking for is there throw a number at the guy. Go as low as you think, and what it would be worth to you. Don't worry about the junk guy he can only say No. Those guys make money on what they sell. So forget the junk yard guy. Hey whats left maybe worth a few bucks to another guy. It works, and if not that day. Go back another day. Maybe you'll get someone else that will deal.

By the time you get done chasing you parts and if you have to purchase them new it could be the cost of that junk yar deal. It's just something I've seen done and it does work. Or if you make a deal and don't want a junk yard car sitting in your yard go back with a friend or friends and strip the car of everything.
Thats my 2 cents worth and it works....

Bob