• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cams for my Bullitt

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 09/30/11 11:11 AM

I have been torn between keeping my Bullitt 100% original, but wanting more power.  I vascilate between the Edlebrock EForce SC and the FR Hot Rod cams.  I realize the two deliver entirely different performance and characteristics with the advantage clearly with the sc. I am curious if any of you have done either or considered a cam swap and what your result/experience/recommendation would be.

Thanks
Bullitt 2522  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/02/11 04:50 AM

bullitt2522: You need to give us more info. What rear gear, what trans what size is the engine has it been punched out?

Do you have good internals that can handle now RPM and power? You can put all the cam in the world in the Bullitt, but what will make it go fast? I'm sure you understand what I mean.

What do you use you car for? Street, Street Strip. or just Strip? Just a little more info would be great......  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/02/11 04:51 AM

What do you use the bullitt for. Street, street strip, or just Strip?  

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 10/02/11 01:58 PM

Sorry .... I'm new at this.
this is a bone stock 2008 Bullitt. 3.73 gears, CAI, 4.63v (315hp/325lbft tq). It is my driver although I don't drive it much (only have 9175 miles on it). the trans is a 5speed and I believe it is a T3650 but can't swear to it. There is nothng wild about this car as it sits .... I like that lopey idle of days gone by, but I know I move the torque around whenever messing with the cams. I don't race it, but love getting to the speed limits (and beyond occasionally) in a hurry. I'd rather pay $5 for a gallon of 93 than a specialty coffee at the local Starbucks if you know what I mean.
I hope this helps ....  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/03/11 01:41 AM

I see you think like I do. Forget that $5 coffee and that 1 beer to make your car go fast. That's one thing that will never change, speed cost money,and he who has the most money might think he can win???......... It's not always the fastest car that wins....... Blush

You don't have many choices unless you want to Retune the ECM,install Upgraded Valve Springs, and add a Phaser Limiter. I don't know if you are going to do this or have it done because it does require special tools. Confused  

1. Ford Racing cam Requires NO change to your Valve Spring change,you won't need a Phaser Limiter or ECM Retune.
2. Comp Cams. Stage #1 P/N 127050 Requires No Valve Spring change or Phaser Limiter or ECM Retune.
Comp Cams Specs Duration @.050 .214 Intake .227 Exhaust
               Valve Lift     .440 Intake .450 Exhaust
It's a good all around cam you can go to Comp Cams web-site.If this were my car and just want to step it up I would use the comp cam. It does have that back in the day Muscle car idle.
Ford Racing gives no specs on their cams. Nothing unusual about that. When you buy it you'll get their spec. sheet. Confused

3. The MATHA THUMPA is a little to much cam and you need all the upgrades. Your talking $800.00 for cams $200.00 for a Phaser Limiter, and valvle springs retainers, and good hardened keepers maybe another $400.00 to $500.00 dollars. My son did the Ford Racing cams for someone. It takes 4 to 8 hours to do the cams. My son asked him to let him know how he liked the cam change. Bue he never did. This guy has done all the Ford Racing Phase 1. Rear gears from 3:55 to 4:10. Long tube headers (If you do headers Go for the LONG TUBE). Cams. Cool  Grin  

Beside the MUTHA THUMPA Comp Cam there are two more cams so your choice is endless. You will need all those upgrades as I mentioned. Tongue

The experience I've had with all the modular engines you'll want a 66 MM TB. Cold air box and hotter coils. It could get endless. LOL Let me know what you decide. Thanks Bob  Crazy

I had a 64 1/2 Mustang K-CODE rag top back in the day. That 289-271 was one hell of a ride. It had 4:10 gears headers, mine had a 9" in it. There are guys that will argue that they never put 9" rears in them,but they did.It also had staggered shocks and six leaf springs, and traction bars. The big Fords had thm on the police intercepter engines to stop the leaf springs from rapping up. They did and they worked! That was a GTO,and Camaro eater. Back then you didn't read a tech article of a cam and see how it preforms before you buy it. We had to get word of mouth or find ways to make them go faster. I could let the clutch out in 3rd gear to get rolling. I miss that ride!Crazy  Grin

Today there's poly locks for your rocker arms we double nutted the stud so the adjustment wouldn't back off as fast. Change spark plugs every 3 to 5k miles today 50 to 100k miles. There was that nice sound of those mechanical lifters clicking away. You know when everything was in tune it was like a beautiful song and a beautiful woman. I would relive those days even it meant going back to Vietnam. Ooo  Grin  

I was born into the racing world 64 years ago. My dad campained a 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente that had a Cammer engine. It ran AA/G and sometime AA/FX depending if it had a front bumper or not.It had a range of three engines it could run when the engine was changed. 406, 427 side oiler, and the Cammer. I now am a retired mechanical engineer, and have a shop where I build race engines for Drag Racing and Oval track. Thanks for listening, let me know if you need more assistance. Bob Blush  Cool  Grin

I MISS THOSE DAYS BIG TIME.......... Cool  Grin  

ONE LAST THING: SPEED NEVER KILLED ANYONE...IT WAS SUDDENLY BECOMING STATIONARY THAT KILLS YOU.......... HAVE A GOOD ONE Crazy  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/03/11 01:42 AM

IT TAKES 8460 BOLTS TO BUILD AN AUTOMOBILE....AND ONLY ONE NUT TO SCHATTER IT ALL OVER THE INTERSTATE............ Confused  

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 10/04/11 10:19 AM

Pepsi1:  Great information and many choices. I would have the work done as dirty Harry says .... a man has to know his limitations ..... and my checkbook has fewer than I do! I am pretty sure the Bullitt's came out with the 8.8 rear end. I like the idea of the Comp Cam.  On the long tube headers .... do these eliminate the cat? I have H pipes because Ford tuned the exhaust note to match the orginal Bullitt from the movie ..... great movie, not sure many are around that remember it though. It appears you and I are of the same era so I get what you were talking about with your old stang ..... my fav back in the day was my father's SS 396/350hp/Muncie M21 4 speed .... sounded mean adn went pretty well too, but too heavy to match up with those quicker pony cars.

Thanks for all your info I will post when/if I move ahead with this project.  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/04/11 12:07 PM

I just sold my 1968 Camaro Drag Car with a 396/375. Tell you a little story. My closest buddie back in the day ordered a 1968 Covette with that engine in it. I wound up with it. I had everything except the original carb. He ordered a brand new 427/435 for his Corvette. I sold that manifold 10 years ago on ebay for $500.00. It had all the special markings that GM puts on parts. I won't go into them. I actually had a bidding war going on. OK getting back to you.

GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY PUNK..........DID I FIRE FIVE SHOTS OR SIX SHOTS WELL PUNK DID I PUNK. Confused
I never saw the new Bullitt Movie.

The 3:73 rear gears you have should be OK. The 4:10s if you were going to race your BULLETT. You'll be just fine if not there's always next year. Cool

The Comp Cam is plenty good for the street and you should get the Muscle car sound. With the tuned headers before he did the cams it sounded great. Then your's should sound awesome.............It wasn't abrasive. Nice note nice tone. Cool

The car my son worked on wasn't a Bullett, so I'm not sure on the long tube headers. NO they did not eliminate the cats so don't worry about emmissions.  Maybe if you contacted Ford Racing they might help?  Cool

Sticking with either of those cams you don't need any other mods to your engine. Didn't I say that going fast always cost money. Blush

Tell your dad that little K-Code Mustang ran and would hide from GTO's,Chevelles, it had trouble with the TRI-POWER GOAT'S! Anything that was done to it Tasca Ford did. We were only a few hours from their place in Rhode Island. It had exactly 8,096 miles. Some parts were dealer installed, but not for K-Code 289/271 Hi-POs.  

I was born into the racing world. My dad, two uncles and a friend of their's were all together. My dad raced motorcycles,and did some hill climbing. He raced old jalopys as they called them then. My mother told a story when I was two my father took me on his Indian motorcycle for a ride. I don't know how he held me on they had suicide shifts? : Crazy  

I had a lot of Ford's the 64 1/2 K-Code Mustang conv manual top, 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 with a X code 352 a
64 Galaxie 500 XL Fastback P-Code 390 68 Galaxie 500 P-Code FastBack. My wife girfriend at the time had a 66 Mustang with a sprint package 289 2BBL.I think they made 210 horse power? Well we traded her 66 Mustang in when our family started to come. So we bought the 68 Galaxie 500. That was an automatic FMX trans. I was told that was the trans the cops used and the taxi cabs.It was supposed to a heavy duty trans. It also had 3:90s with a locker. What a fast car that was.In 72 when the gas crisis hit it wasn't so fast. My kids loved to hear the sound of the four BBL open and watch the gas gauge go down. Cool  Grin  Tongue  

The Comet I talked about was in Floyd Garrett's car museum, back in the 90s. My dad's whole family were either  Ford or Mercury people and they raced Fords. I now race Chevy's and have for 36 years. Parts were so expensive for Ford's. I have some performance books from 1968 and you could buy a Forged Steel Crank for 427 $136.00. Cams for 427 Ford's $47.00. That was retail over the counter! Keeping track of where it goes is my younger brother's job. My dad died unexpectedly in 1968. When it happened everything stood still, but yet it didn't, my wife and I were just starting a family, and my mom fell apart. I'm 64 (oxi-moron).  Ooo

I'll tell you something if I had the money I would buy a 63 1/2 Light weight. A REAL LIGHT WEIGHT.... not those bull #$@% clones.I've loved those cars forever. I had a friend that had an R-Code 63 1/2 Galaxie 500XL what a car. 4 speed 4:11 and a locker rear. I would drive it for him if he got a race. I KID-U-NOT Billy weighted 350lbs. if not an ounce? So when guys saw him in that car they figured he couldn't drive it. They were correct he couldn't, so I got the nod. I drove a few of the guys cars in our group plus mine. Boy did I tell you a story, and all you want ed to know about was a cam? I apologize. Let Me know what your doing I'll give you my email so I don't tie up the site Thanks Bob OK. Cool  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/04/11 10:47 PM

BUULLITT2522:

JUST A LITTLE FYI. TIM ALLEN IS SELLING HIS 2008 BULLITT. THE BIDDING WAS UP TO $21,609 IT HAS 5,918 MILES. Cool  

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 10/06/11 09:03 AM

Great stories! Sounds like you have had a pretty good run in the race cars! I will let you know if I do anything ..... still up in the air, but leaning toward the cams even though they don't pack the punch of a supercharger, they give me what I really like ... a few more horses and a great sound.  

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 10/06/11 09:06 AM

Saw a Bullitt go for $25k on Mecum recently. Not a bad price considering it was only 3 years old. Had 3100 miles on it. Mine has 9800, but I bought it used with 900 so I haven't put much on it. Love to drive it, just don't have anywhere to go! Who knows if this car will ever be worht anything....they build hundreds of thousands of S197s, but only 5,000 dark highland green Bullitts in 2008/09. My guess is my kids will get more for it than I ever will so that is where it will go wafter I make my final pit stop!  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/08/11 03:55 AM

bullitt2522: That dark Green was the color of the original Bullitt. Thats the way to do it, but can I give you some advice don't over think your decision. Get out and enjoy that Bullitt, it's yours and if you do the maintainence on it you're kids will ejoy it to. Maybe even grandchildern.I have to ask where do you live that there's NO place to drive to

My wife has a 2005 Monte Carlo SS With the Super Charger on a 3.8. It is going to be a rare car, the Super Gharger we probably won't be here for that. But I had a friend who works for a Chevy Dealer, and we stepped it up. I've had it up to 130 MPH and it was still pulling. My wife was screaming I was too close to the guard ralis blah blah blah. I noticed when she drove it was very conservative from a year ago. Turns out she needed glasses. Then her screaming went away..........LOL True story!

One of the cars we have is a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. We are the original owners it has never been smoked in and has 55,ooo. My son graduated H S in 1988 and that was all he wanted was to use that car for his Prom.

I guess my point is enjoy that rocket now!  You know I'm going to tell you why I feel this way. All the fast cars I had the Drag Racing I've done I even drove Winston Cup Back when it was called Grand National. Two tours in South East Asia.

I was in my GMC 2500 HD truck EXtened cab all the bells and whistles and a 8 foot bed.3 1/2 years ago some DRUNK AND STONED PUNK hit me head on. If it wasn't for that truck I probably wouldn't be wring this.He was driving a 1996 Mazda. He drove under my truck I WAS DEAD STOPPED. HE KNOCKED THE TRANSFER CASE AND BOTH FRONT WHEELS OFF the TRUCK PUSHED ME BACKWARDS SOME 60? FEET.WITH NO FRONT WHEELS ON IT. He got a bump on his head. Because he turned States evidence his restituion to me was $1652.00. Now I have to fight with the State of Ma.for my hospital bills etc.I won't go into my injuries BUT MY POINT BULLITT 2522 ENJOY  LIFE..........It is too short! You just never know when *** like that will happen. IT IS WHAT IT IS YES. Very true story but that srcewed up plans I had.

I'll just give you one of my injuries. The airbag's powder,but something went in my eye. It detatched my retina. The eye surgeon said I got hit with about 25 Neg. G's more then a fighter pilot gets when he lands on an aircraft carrier.

I have been given a Photo-Graphic memory.I can remember things from my child hood in great detail. Names I'm starting to get fuzzy on, I was told that is because I don't see these people that often. Heay thanks for listening and let me know you do. One thing a year and you'll be surprised how fast it FLies Thanks Bob  

bullitt2522
New User
Posted: 11/06/11 11:12 AM

You are absolutely correct .... forget the mileage and everything else, if you don't drive it how can you enjoy it.  My wife was recently diagnosed with cancer so we are dealing with what that means. I will take your advice to heart as we have something in common .... life is short, enjoy it and those around you while you can.
Since I am meticulous about mainteneance there is no reason this car won't be around for my kids or grandchildren.  I am now looking at balancing the engine while installing the comp thumpr cams. While it is apart I will have a new one piece driveshaft installed as well just to get rid of a week link. Probably add headers as well. My goal was to get about 350-370hp to the rear wheels without a supercharger.
Good luck with your fight with the State .... anything to do with govt is frustrating as they are all so incompetent.