• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

393 stroker piston id?

tombomb
New User
Posted: 10/18/11 10:31 PM

hey guys . new to the forum . have a question concerning an engine i took in trade . it was built locally (southern ca ) but it didnt come with a build sheet . i want to sell this engine but dont have any information on the damn thing . i was hoping that with the piston casting # you guys could steer me in the right directioin . i was told that it was a 393 stroker . it was obviously recently rebuilt . the pistons are some sort of dish type and the only # i can read on them is on the underside and it reads 12-17 . . . it was originally a 351w out of a 70 something van . any help ya'll could give would be greatly appreciated . i'm fishing in the dark with this thing as i dont know much about engines at all.  Blush  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/18/11 11:25 PM

OUCH:

Was it a carburator, intake manifold.

How did you get that number. Looks like the date the piston was cast!

Being dished it sounds like it either low compression, and/or low
compression for a power adder. Turbo, supercharger, or maybe not. Just a low compression engine.

Get a head casting number?

An engine block number to verify it is what it is?

If it's not apart. take the pan off and see if the
connecting rods have a number? If I were to purchase it
I would want to see some bearings or something that tells me I didn't purchase a pig in a poke. Good Luck...  

tombomb
New User
Posted: 10/21/11 10:56 PM

yeah it is a brand new rebuild. its never even had oil in it . squeeky shiny clean. so i pulled the pan of and looked at the bottom of the piston . those were the only visible numbers. i know its a 351 because it says in quite clear stamped lettering 351w on the block. but i dont know how to take measurements to figure what the bore and stroke brought the engine out too . and i would like to idetify the components to better describe it when i try to sell it .  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/24/11 09:30 PM

Your going to have to pull a piston out of it. That means removing the head. Once that's done you can measure the piston and the block for piston size and bore size. Then maybe the connecting rod will have a mane or P/N on it. You will be able to measure the stroke also. Good Luck