• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

How hot does your 2.6 S/Charger pulley run ?

garyc945
New User
Posted: 11/07/11 08:13 AM

I know it is a silly question but (who touches thier pulley after driving)except my son. Does seem hot though, you could lay your hand on stock pulley but this one will blister you!  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 11/07/11 10:56 AM

a few things....   i am taking that you are talking about an undersize supercharger pulley....

was a shorter belt installed to maintain proper belt tension....

when pulley diameter is reduces there is less surface area to transfer torque from the belt to the pulley..

you might have exceeded the minimum size needed to transfer power to the supercharger..    superchargers take significant horsepower to turn at speed..

if i were you .. you might invest in an infra red temp gun.. where you can point at various objects to see the temp...

if your supercharger pulley is getting too hot.. you can damage the belt when the motor is shut down..

by the way... what happened with the over fueling problem on this car????????  

garyc945
New User
Posted: 11/07/11 08:00 PM

Wyane, good answer, room for thought. I do have have temp. gun and reads 175 after short drive and shifting below 3000rpm. I assume this ok for for everything (bearing,seal, ect. but like you,I question the belt integrity, wondering just how hot it will run when really ran hard? 12lb pulley kit (2.6) comes with extra idler to install, took it back off and temp. stayed the same.

As for my 2007, I traded knowing it would not start and believed the guy when he said it acted as though it ran out of gas. He lived apprx. 100mi. from closet dealer so he didn't have the money to tow vehical and pay for repair also. Upon my inspection before making deal I figured it was computer programing and made the trade. Now for the *** I found!! Engine had a stroker kit (4.6 to 5.0) installed in Feb. of this year. After weeks of me and Dealer here in Indy trying to figure out why this small engine would not start but had air, fuel, and spark it was found that builder did not torque Balancer properly (of course a Ford procedure)which allowed balancer to loosen which allowed torsional vibration up the chains damaging both camshafts key ways, phasers, belt tensioners ect.
Long story short, a starter, battery, cams, cam gears, pulley, crank gear and timer plus $4000. fixed it. I'm to old to learn this type of hard lessons. STROKERS beware, follow Fords torque procedures or pay the price like I did.            

pepsi1
User
Posted: 11/07/11 11:26 PM

Our 2005 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 Supercharged even after blasting it down the 1/4 mile, I can touch it. I wouldn't want to keep my hand on it,but I don't know what your looking for? If it's that hot it won't be long before it burns up the bearings! Our Supercharger calls for synthetic oil?

Nice Work Wayne great post.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 11/08/11 08:31 PM

on the 2007.. with the loose crank damper bolt...

were the cam bolts left loose also...

since i don't get inside these motors.. i would have wanted all the old parts back...

that sounds very suspicious that everything was damaged... just to examine the pieces..