• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

how to make a 2006 supercharged mustang gt faster

BoostedMustangGT
New User
Posted: 02/24/12 04:21 PM

I have a 2006 superchanged mustang gt with a magnaflow axle back exhaust and I want to make it faster than it is any suggestion other than taring the motor down?  

stephensc
New User
Posted: 02/25/12 04:02 PM

Increase the boost, larger intake, headers, mid pipe, new tune, spray, better intake manifold (assuming its not a twin screw or roots), or meth injection.... Of course making more power means more stress on the motor... Which will most likely shorten the life span of the motor... If you did build the motor you could push more boost while maintain reliability. Unfortunately it takes time and money for a good built motor. If it was my choice I would most likely choose more boost and a new tune. How much boost are you running right now, and what kind of supercharger is it?  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/26/12 09:52 PM

Most power made is just that way with a supercharger. If you can get it to flow in and out thats the power. Plus keep the charge cool. If you can get good enough gas you could tighen up the waste gate. I would not go over 12PSI of Boost with stock parts. They aren't built to take it. What came back into play these days that we played with back in the 70's and 80's is water and alcohol injection. Check it out. Be carefull with BOOST on your stock parts!
Thanks
Bob  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/27/12 09:57 PM

My son in law is the Manager of three FOMOCO dealerships in the New York and New Jersey area. I asked him about that power adder. He said that Ford had some problems with the heads on some of those engines. I don't know if he meant 3V or $V heads. So maybe you can run by the local dealership. He said there is a marking you'll have to look for. What it was he didn't say. It's just some FYI.
Bob  

BoostedMustangGT
New User
Posted: 07/02/12 01:14 PM

How do I increast the boost it is set at 8 psi now and I plan on getting a off road x pipe for it and it has a vortec supercharger on it and its a 3v. I am also getting dyno tuned here shortly  

Trixter
New User
Posted: 05/03/13 07:31 PM

New here, but an old fan of MMFF magazine. I have experience in supercharging and turbocharging the modular motors... 4.6/5.4/6.8. F-150s and Mustangs.  

There is no wastegate on a supercharger system as it comes out of the box. Unless it is custom converted to a blow through MAF, the boost pressure is changed by swapping pulleys. The S197 is essentially a blow through system because the MAF cartridge is relocated to the intercooler discharge tube just in front of the throttle body on centrifugal blowers like the ProCharger.

Bypass air can be vented to atmosphere but I do not suggest venting the valve covers to allow blow-by to escape.

A smaller diameter pulley is needed to increase boost with a blower. BUT there is one exception...

Programmable boost level- ProCharger i-1.

NOW, you can run a high boost level (Smaller blower pulley or LARGER crank pulley and install a BOV to vent to atmosphere BEFORE the MAF.

Meth injection works, but an intercooler was not mentioned. Most Vortech systems offer the Aftercooler as an option... So if you are not equipped with one, install one. Intercool it first, then add the Meth injection and you will make substantial drops in charge temperature. Discharge temp at the blower discharge is roughly 180 degrees on a 100 degree day. A 3-core air to air intercooler will bring charge temps back down to ambient. Then if you use Meth injection, you can drop charge temps even lower. But it has to be a factor included when tuning. Meth injection must be tuned for.

A 10 degree drop in charge temp will roughly equate to 10 HP, which will roughly equate to a .1 second drop in E.T., which is roughly a fender length. Just general calculations.