• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lincoln drive train

Brndnleosbrn1978
New User
Posted: 03/07/12 08:28 PM

I have a 1983 Lincoln mark IV and was wondering if the 5.0 that came in some Lincolns, were the same as a mustang? If so, what would be the best parts to add to this motor? Nothing serious, just a street motor making about 350-400 hp.  

Brndnleosbrn1978
New User
Posted: 03/07/12 08:28 PM

Sorry. A mark VI.  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/07/12 10:12 PM

the MOTORS are mostly the same...   but there is a HUGE difference...

your 83... MIGHT BE EEC3...  NOT an EEC IV car.. i had an 83 Tbird with the CFI 5.0 motor.. once i got it to run right as it had been butchered by several mechanics it was wonderful..

EEC3 uses 8 volts as for much of its relays..  and some of its sensors..    where EEC4 uses 5.0 volts for some of its sensors and a full 12 volts for its relay coils..

does your 83 have air ride????  if it's drooping..  change the compressor.. you can take them off a much later lincoln.. they have to make at least 175 pounds of pressure to work..   you will also want to snag a wiring pigtail for the air suspension solenoids..  along with a section of the air line..   if you can find a used solenoid in the junk yard for an air bag..   when you disconnect the pigtail..   please look at it carefully.. note which wire is positive when you plug in the connector..   you can add a momentary push button and extend it with some battery clips.. be sure to NEVER hook it up backwards to the battery.. there is a protection diode in the solenoid and it will blow out leaving you stuck..    the short section of  hose.. a foot or so..   i get a 3/16 compression fitting to 1/4 pipe male..  this i hook to a quick connect for my air hose.. but i also have a air pressure regulator that  has  quick connects to fit on the end of the air hose..  this allows me to pulse the solenoid with the open ended hose section installed to deflate the bags to make them easy to remove..   it also allows me to quickly inflate them with my shop air hose to install them.. and when all else fails...  i install the pressure regulator.. and the pigtail.. i can then turn the pressure regulator to bring the car up and level without the onboard air compressor..   this can also be done with a removed air suspension compressor..  some later versions have a single outlet drier .. most have a 4.. the driers can be interchanged..    additional openings can just be plugged at the end of short sections..

sorry.. i did not mean to bury you with unask for info...

more unask for info...

one the CFI fuel injectors..  ford has 3 colors..   green for the 3.8 CFI cars..   Blue for the 5.0 motors.. and Grey for the 5.0 HO motors..   the green were like 38 pounds of fuel  per hour.. the dark blue were 59 pounds of fuel per hour. and the grey are 62 pounds of fuel per hour..  the blue and the grey are greatly sought after by import turbo volvo guys.. as they have adaptors to install them in their turbo bricks to make them go really fast..

oh.. the mustangs with V8s only came with carbs.. a 2bbl.. probably a variable venturi.. and a holley 4180 4 bbl..  

your CFI intake will accept any of the ford 2bbls.. or holley 2300 carbs..

the transmission is an AOD.. that uses a throttle valve cable..  adjustment is critical. or the transmission will burn up quickly.. like a few blocks..  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 03/08/12 07:29 AM

i should have added...   that if you need EEC3 info.. its hard to come by...   there is a chiltons manual ,   fuel injection and feed back carbs #7488 that does cover it...  where the ford manuals refer to the EEC3 tester and its dedicated manual for info..    that manual is available in soft cover (black with white and red printing on the cover)  and also in a hard cover professional green hard cover edition..

one can spot a EEC3 car as it will not have anything in the distributer... except the rotor..   the ignition module will be on the fender...   there will be a crank sensor and a 4 pronged reluctor on the back of the harmonic damper..