• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Axle Vent Leaking during HPDE

Tunafish
New User
Posted: 02/09/12 09:56 AM

Has anyone seen any fluid leaks from the axle vent after track time?  My mechanic noticed fluid after a recent HPDE at Pacific Raceway.  I have a 2011 Mustang GT.  There is a TSB 10-3-7 for earlier 05-10 mustangs, but none for 2011 and later.  My mechanic suggested replacing the vent with a nipple and tube to keep the fluid from leaking.  Apperantly, offroaders do this to keep the fluid in the axle during extreme offroading.  Anybody have similar experiences?  And any fixes.  Thanks  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/09/12 12:20 PM

welcome aboard:

Did your mechanic check the level of the gear lube? I have seen it happen,but when water was mixed in. s you've said the off-roaders get that a lot.

I would first check the gear lube level "if not done". Does it have synthetic gear lube in it. ee what the owners manual calls for. If it's  not synthetic use a HI-Performance Hypoid non synthetic gear lube 125-140 when your racing.

You can do what your mechanic suggested, or try this after you check the gear lube level. Get a longer rubber hose much longer then the one you have now. Then put a couple loops in it (Tie wire it together not to squash the hose's) then mount it up higher on the undercarraige. That was a little trick we did back in the day! You may want to see if your pushing gear lube out the seal ends! I know from working with FOMOCO and GM that you can get over runs. You may have gotten one of those. I can get back to you in a week or so. I still think a few Ford engineers are still around. Grin  Cool
Thanks
Bob  

Tunafish
New User
Posted: 02/09/12 12:40 PM

Thanks for the input Bob.
The oil level is fine and no oil at the seals.  I have another HPDE next month.  I'll try the longer tube coiled up.  I would think the guys racing in Grand-Am and such would have a similar problem.  Wouldn't think this kind of thing would happen on a performance car.  I'll also ask the other mustang owners at the HPDE if they've experienced the same.  Tunafish  

waynep7122
User
Posted: 02/09/12 08:06 PM

a few things...

there are K&N filter breathers for the rear end..  that will trap some of the OIL vapors in the filter media... and prevent any dirt from being drawn in...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=62-1000

62 1000

you could also install some kind of fuel filter..   even a translucent plastic filter..  so it catches the oil vapors and still lets the rear end air expand and contract with heat...   that would make it much more splash proof...

i am talking that you might have an infrared non contact thermometer in your tool box.. perhaps you might want to measure the rear end temp at the center and at the axle bearings.....

are you running  C Clip axles...  bearing retained axles... or floaters...

somebody used to make a BOLT on kit to allow conventional rear ends to be converted to full floaters...
but those were for jeeps...    there is nothing from stopping a creative person from building their own on a lathe or CNC machine..  

these are just ideas...  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/10/12 11:10 AM

Tunafish your welcome. When my connection at Ford gets back to me I'll send the info on to you. I wonder if you installed another vent on the opposite side.I wonder how that would work.

It's just  to relieve a pressure situation that is making the vapor. As the axles turn they act like screws and draw the vapors near any opening to relieve the pressure.

The one thing I forgot to tell you if you do use that hose trick aim the opening to the rear of the car. If you can get a vent to fit that hose maybe that would be the hot trick and cheap too.LOL... Sometime being creative is much better. It also makes you feel good inside! Grin  Cool
Like I said I will pass the info on,as I get it.
Thanks
Bob  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/11/12 09:53 AM

Tunafish:

I talked to my buddy at Ford,about the vent problem. He told me they never corrected the problem either. So I really got nowhere with him. I was told the Ford guys tested many vents. I told him of the suggestion I had. He got very quiet.... then said the high dollsr engineers didn't think that.

Well I'm a retired engineer, and I ran that set-up on my 8.8" & 9" rears for years, in my Drag Cars. I told him with constant pressure build-up of a road race car I suggest that you put one one each side. My thinking relieve all the pressure. I even thought about putting a fuel filter on the open end if needed to get rid of fumes.

My suggestion: run the one side first, with the hose loop I would make the loops big enough so they don't kink. For the set-up if you can let the rear hang so you have an idea how much tubing you'll need to make atleast two 3" to 4" loops tie wire it to the undercarriage, and see what happens. You'll want the opening facing rearward.

You can also make the vents  bigger for example if you have 1/4" go to 1/2". Then use the trick hose. Please let me know how you make out. Please leave me a PM so we don't hog up the forum....LOL...

Its always worked for me and I've been Drag Racing up to a few years ago 40 years..... But we don't run them as hard as you do. Unless its roundy-round time then we are back to back. More concerned about water temperatures then vents LOL.
Thanks
Bob  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 02/11/12 09:57 AM

Tunafish:

I have often found street vehicles manly trucks that go offroad get plugged with dirt and blow the axle seals out. Most guys would just replace the seals without ever checking the axle tube vent. Then its a catch 22. Just my 2 Cents.  

Tunafish
New User
Posted: 04/16/12 12:25 PM

Thanks Bob.  I took my GT to the Ford dealership to get it fixed.  There's a technical bulletin that installs a bulb type attachment.  I haven't been to the track since, so I'll see in July when the Mustang Club goes to the track.  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 04/18/12 12:55 AM

Icon QuoteTunafish:
Thanks Bob.  I took my GT to the Ford dealership to get it fixed.  There's a technical bulletin that installs a bulb type attachment.  I haven't been to the track since, so I'll see in July when the Mustang Club goes to the track.

Tunafish

My son in law is a director for 2 Ford and 1 Lincoln dealer ships in the New York ST and New Jersey area..It took a long time to find the bulletin...I hope it works sounds to me like a band aid as Ford usually does...Because only a few people complain and to Ford it''s never a big deal.

GM's the same way....I had a 2001 GMC Sierra if I hit a bump the steering wheel would actually shake violently untill I got the truck off the road I wont even tell you all the crap the dealer gave me. I have a friend that pulled the bulletin and I had proof there was a major screw up when the truck was built...some support that goes under the floor to the steering was missing...I started a buy back dealer didn't want to know anything untill one morning there was 10 tons of rock and gravel closing off both his show room doors...I don't know how that happened???Guess what he never ****** with me again..he got the point....By my last name scared him...won't tell you what that is  you can find it in my PM slot...LOL... Grin  Cool Oh I got a brand new 2002 2500 Sierra even money....Dealers want to play ganes....there are ways to fix them also...
Bob  

Tunafish
New User
Posted: 04/19/12 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info and stories.  I hope the bulb works.  The next HPDE is in July.