• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Repeat Offender wiring harness??

83foureyes
New User
Posted: 07/15/12 02:52 PM

I was reading in the current issue that when Repeat offender was being finished that a Painless performance wiring harness was used instead of the stock one. I contacted painless looking to do the same for my 83 gt they said no harness existed made by them that would work on my car. could some light be shed on this and Im wondering if I could get a part number of the harness used so i could do the same for my car. Thanks!!  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 07/15/12 11:56 PM

Project Repeat Offender Electrical System Stock Wireharness

perhaps this section from last year might explain things

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/projectcars/mmfp_1106_project_repeat_offender_electrical_system/index.html

to answer your direct question..  from the linked article...

If you choose to keep your original harness, make sure it’s safe and functional before proceeding with a project such as oursespecially when powering demanding components such as a high-volume fuel pump or electric water pump. We had to make the decision to just deal with the factory harness for its all-inclusive ability (with risk), or exchange it for a more simple harness that may or may not have everything we need. Enter Painless Performance Products.

Painless has been leading the automotive wiring industry for 21 years, and you’ve undoubtedly heard of its products for street rods, custom cars, and racing applications. Though many of its products are generic, Painless also makes manufacturer-specific harnesses for various GM, Mopar, and Ford models.

The chassis harness that we chose (PN 10123; $596.89) is a four-circuit universal Ford musclecar harness built to fit most Ford cars from ’66-’76. However, since Ford has kept most of its wiring colors the same throughout the years, most will match our ’85 LX harness perfectly. The harness has provisions for everything from lights to wipers, and the horn to the radio.

a short statement from waynep71222..

replacing a FACTORY wiring harness  with an after market harness is not an easy job..  one needs to identify each circuit that you want to RECONNECT to the new harness..

this is NOT an EASY plug in the new harness and everything will work..  you have to know what wires to connect to what..  and how the individual circuits work..

you will need a proper wiring diagram for the car you are working on..  the OLD harness diagram.. so you know how to connect the new individual circuits to..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 07/16/12 12:06 AM

in case you missed it.. the link below the picture takes you to the article that shows some of the wiring install....

be sure to click through the images as each one has text tips on how it's done..