• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

how much left in it ?

tinkes
New User
Posted: 09/21/12 04:03 PM

just got my project running and up to the strip ran a 12.17 at 114.6 mph 1.88 60 ft . Car is a full weight 94 gt 5.4 dohc out of a nav , supercharger and operating sys from an 03 cobra , 6 speed , 3.73 in the 8.8 . on 315 nitto nto5r's . So the question is , is there a better et here or is more power needed ? tried a search but this combo is a little off the norm  

tinkes
New User
Posted: 09/24/12 07:18 PM

anyone ?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/24/12 10:39 PM

there is a FEW of us out here.. but you did not give us a LOT to go on...

what gear were you in as you passes the finish line???

what was the ENGINE RPM at that point????

at that ET .. you probably won't have time to get past 4th gear.. and its probably a good idea to not shift past 4th.. which i think is directly through the transmission without dropping the power flow through to the cluster gear... locks the input to the output shaft..    5th and 6th are for freeway and extreme top end events ...

do you have a CHART of the TORQUE output of your motor from a dyno run in 4th gear??

you will want to adjust the gear ratio or the rear tire sizing to allow you to pass the finish line with the engine approaching the highest torque and  horse power peaks..   approaching them...  i don't know if you want to be past the torque peak...  as you would still be accelerating .. but not as hard...  .

do you have one of the G meters that records acceleration forces during the run.. and plot it out verses the transmission gear position and the engine RPM...

you should be able to plot out the hardest acceleration in 4th gear..   then you will have to decide what to do with the rear end ratio and the tire sizing to get you somewhere near that point

or use the acceleration maps to choose your shift points....

the ECTA moved to an airport taxi way in ohio...  they have a mile of acceleration .. and slightly more than that to shut down..

these are JUST IDEAS.. there are well written books on this subject..  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 09/25/12 05:43 PM

Welcome tinkes:

The real question is how deep are your pockets. Back in the day and today, to win races and make a car run faster always took money. Money=Speed it's never changed,and as long as there are automobiles thats it!!! You can go to this web site and purchase books.   www.cartech.com. Maybe find something to help you?

Wayne has real good ideas, I don't like Juice it raises hell on engine parts,plus the fact if a little Nitrous goes where it doesn't belong, you will know the meaning of the Big Bang Theory really quick.

I like Superchargers you can play with them. You can spin them hard or slow, them down with the change of a pulley. Jack Roush has some of the best on the market. Thats the one thing about we gear heads fast is not fast enough....Good Luck...

Bob  

tinkes
New User
Posted: 09/30/12 01:19 PM

thanks guys for the input , also I am definitly familiar with money = speed . the car was only around 5500 5600 rpm in 4th was hard to see the tach only an in dash . Was wondering how much the trap speed was telling as far as et went also with a 1.88 60 ft if thats typical for a street car with control arms . But an opportunity has come up so I will be installing the 3.4 whipple .No g-meter , was thinking about the ecta deal but need to get the rule book to see how much the car has to get cut up ( roll cage , safty equip , etc.) . Been meaning to get it dyno tuned just havent got there yet , been tuning on the street with air fuel meter