• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

popping sound...

C-AREVALO
New User
Posted: 09/21/12 10:33 PM

Well guys i bought this 1995 mustang with an auto 5.0 with what seems to be with gt40 setup, well i dont know the cam specs or aything else about this car. i bought it from someone who had it as a project. well the problem is that when i turn it on it makes this popping sound when idling and when i rev it up it sounds like that too. im fairly new at this so any help is greatly appreciate it thanks i  advance...ex  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/22/12 10:32 AM

there are TWO different firing orders depending on the CAM shaft...

5.0...... 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
5.0 HO 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

the injectors have to be hooked up to match the firing order.... as they are sequentially fired...

are your spark plug wires properly separated?????

this spark plug wire order over the drivers side valve cover is a good idea to try on either firing order...  as i think it only effects on of them...

Fordsparkplugwiringroutingcap

Fordsparkplugiwirerouting

are all your injectors properly plugged in??? not fully seating the connector... once in a while.. an injector connector will get corroded from pressure washing...

you might also want to examine the ignition coil for signs of high voltage leakage..

COIL Highvoltageleakage  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/22/12 10:49 AM

if reworking the firing order and double checking the injection order..which is a LOT more complicated... does not solve your issue.. and you don't have any injectors that are not firing..

next step is to do a full compression test....  to verify you don't have any leaking valves..  or rockers that need some attention to preload to avoid holding the valves open during engine operation..

other than the Compression test.. please do all 8 cylinder exactly the same way... and write the exact numbers down... if any are lower or higher than others.. farther attention is needed..

on the INJECTOR sequence...

this will require the part numbers from the labels on the harness.

this will require the ECM part numbers..

which firing order you are using

and.. it's usually easier on sequential fuel injection to change the pinout at the computer connector body.. sometimes the wires are not long enough to reach..

don't just try this on your own...  

C-AREVALO
New User
Posted: 09/22/12 09:35 PM

Ill check into that thanks very much for the info i really apprciate it...  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 09/25/12 05:47 PM

I agree those sequences of the Cam and the injector firing orders can be the culprit. Also did they change the firing order of the cam when it was purchased?

Bob