• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

having issues with starting my fox

bigben1988
New User
Posted: 09/08/12 08:18 PM

I just finished motor swap. I put a 86 efi 5.0 in my 88 lx hatch. I then did maf conversion. From the speed density. Now when the motor is cold fires rite up. But when i stop somewhere and shut it off it will not start back up acts like battery is dead but says it has good charge. I set timing at 13 degrees book said normal is 10 to 15. Ive replaced battery and alternator. Im clueless now need some help?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/09/12 08:01 AM

this must be like the talk show skit... will it blend..

i cannot tell from your post if you are having problems with the CRANKING  or if the engine cranks over when you turn the key but won't RUN..

the CRANKING system is totally different than the fuel injection system

does it crank???

can you get it started cold and run my voltage drop test????  print this.. go over it.. post the results from the 4 parts on the lower half..

VOLTAGE Drop Testing  

bigben1988
New User
Posted: 09/10/12 04:51 PM

Thanks but eveything checked out ok it cranks over ut acts like bad battery. I did however find that alternator wires were melted and bare at the plugs. I replaced them didnt fix problem. Only thing else to change is starter. Guess ill give that a try unless any other suggestions? Thanks again  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 09/10/12 06:30 PM

did you replace the alternator connector.. #232 at az...

warning.. when these melt.. there is also a fusible link right at the starter solenoid to protect the rest of the harness... did you find battery voltage on the 2 large wires on this connector???

please.. use a volt meter.. do not pull the battery cable off with the engine running to test the charging system that will ruin the alternator..    

do you have a starting and charging system wiring diagram for these..

do you have a digital volt meter??? they are cheep...

look at the upper section of this diagram..

0900C1528004e2b3