• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

97 Cobra Noise

mcusey
New User
Posted: 11/02/12 03:11 PM

Confused I have what sounds like a noisy valve on my 97 Cobra coming from under the driver's side valve cover, near the fire wall (so cylinders 7 and 8 if I'm not mistaken).  I am fairly certain that, due to the previous owner's choice in exhaust set up, the exhaust valves over those two cylinders are now shot.  My question is how would I verify or disprove my theory, short of pulling the head off the engine?  Also, if this is the correct path to look at, I have already located a set of reman heads complete with cams and the works for $1400/set (idk if this is a good deal or not).  Or is there a way to adjust the valves?  I intend to change the exhaust out here pretty soon as well, ditching the magnapacks for flowmaster's american thunder cat back (right now there is BBK Longtubes, BBK catted h pipe, and a 3" magnaflow cat back).  My mechanical aptitude is pretty decent (I've rebuilt a 5.0 Ford and a 350 chevy, both carbs) but I'm new to the quad cam fords and fi engines.  Thanks for any help you can offer.  
1997 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra - Daily Driver/ Rolling project

waynep71222
User
Posted: 11/03/12 07:23 AM

there have been valve train noises from the 2. 3 and 4 valve motors...

its been a while since it was discussed... i don't recall off hand what the issues were..

stay tuned... i will look around and see what i can find..

there are other forum members who are deeper into mod motors..  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 11/03/12 09:13 AM

1.It could be an inner valve spring that broke
2.Look for an exhaust gasket leak if they used a gasket
it will sound like a valve tap. I know this may sound crazy to you
but until you hear one it will drive you crazy. See if you can get your hand
somewhere or near that noise. On the exhaust. See if you can feel air around any of the exhaust ports.I wish there was an easier way to check it but I don't know of any. Sometime an exhaust leak will sound like a bearing knock. NO CHIT....
3.You the cams may have worn,and you can't see it. Good luck.

Bob  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 11/04/12 03:14 PM

mcusey

If you have a mechanics stethiscope try using them to detect where the noise is. I would pull the valve cover off. I know it's not an easy job. But before you spend a bunch of money on parts, you really want to know where the noise is coming from. Maybe you can see a broken inner valve spring.

Bob  

oamo111
New User
Posted: 08/15/13 07:58 AM

I am not an experienced auto mechanic, but cobras are known to have device tick problems, and my old 1996 cobra had the device tick...you must go to the mechanics..