• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

building an engine

sonic_onion
New User
Posted: 09/11/12 10:35 AM

Hi,

I'm going to be rebuilding my 5.0 and have some parts sitting around that I'm thinking about putting into it. I've got a set of Speed Pro 7061p pistons (BIG dome!), 1996 Explorer GT40 heads and Edleborck Performer EFI intake. Its gonna be .030 over bore. The pistons are the same as Federal Mogul LW2249NF 30's I believe.

So my question is, will this combo work? I was thinking a pretty mild cam (E303, as its an automatic) for daily drivability and piston/head clearances. From what info I can find, the head cc's should give me a compression of approx 11:1?

I'm not looking for a massive hp monster or to spend a ton of dough, will these components work together?

Thanks!  
'91 Bimini Blue LX

sonic_onion
New User
Posted: 10/16/12 06:57 PM

Or any info about the pistons even? Has anyone had any experience with them before?

Thanks again.  
'91 Bimini Blue LX

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/17/12 02:56 PM

Mr. Sonic_Onion don't know what it means ***

I have to say this is the way things work on some Forums. This was sent to me by Wayne71222.
  There are prices of parts you may want to exclude. I did this if I were building it for myself. You can always sell those parts you have on E-Bay or at Swap meets, to offset your cost. I will be honest with you I didn't find some of thos part numbers.
  If you decide to order those parts from Jegs you have choices to make on some parts. But thats up to you. You could order a HO Boss 302 for $11,000 from Jegs or a Full Blown Race Engine from Jack Roush for $20,000...LOL...Good Luck I hope I pointed you in some direction. As you still need to get your heads done, and that can be expensive.

I went over the pieces and parts you have, and you really don't have anything worth putting together. Here's what I came up with. Forget what you have for now.

Jegs has a 306" SBF with 340HP. and 350ft.lbs. of torque. for $3,600. Thats no carb or intake.

Using your block and your heads. That cost IS a QUESTION.
Scat balanced rotating assy. $1200.00
Cam Kit                       $110.00
Cam installtion kit            $80.00
Comp Cams Push Rods            $27.00
Oil Pump                       $26.00
Oil Pump For Racing Shaft      $22.00
Oil Pump Screen                $20.00
Oil Pump Priming Tool          $13.00
Stock Replacement Oil Pan      $45.00
Roller Rocker Arms            $165.00
Tall Valve Covers Price?       $70.00
Tall Valve Cover Hold/Bolts    $40.00
Edelbrock has a Formula for    ------
Performance Jegs No Cost       ******
It has Intake,Carb,Gaskets,Bolts,Blue,Silicone.

Bob  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/17/12 02:57 PM

Mr. Sonic_Onion don't know what it means ***

I have to say this is the way things work on some Forums. This was sent to me by a fellow Forum Guy Wayne71222.
  There are prices of parts you may want to exclude. I did this if I were building it for myself. You can always sell those parts you have on E-Bay or at Swap meets, to offset your cost. I will be honest with you I didn't find some of those part numbers.
  If you decide to order those parts from Jegs you have choices to make on some parts. But thats up to you. You could order a HO Boss 302 for $11,000 from Jegs or a Full Blown Race Engine from Jack Roush for $20,000...LOL...Good Luck I hope I pointed you in some direction. As you still need to get your heads done, and that can be expensive. Grin  Cool

I went over the pieces and parts you have, and you really don't have anything worth putting together. Here's what I came up with. Forget what you have for now.

Jegs has a 306" SBF with 340HP. and 350ft.lbs. of torque. for $3,600. Thats no carb or intake.

Using your block and your heads. That cost IS a QUESTION.
Scat balanced rotating assy. $1200.00
Cam Kit                       $110.00
Cam installtion kit            $80.00
Comp Cams Push Rods            $27.00
Oil Pump                       $26.00
Oil Pump For Racing Shaft      $22.00
Oil Pump Screen                $20.00
Oil Pump Priming Tool          $13.00
Stock Replacement Oil Pan      $45.00
Roller Rocker Arms            $165.00
Tall Valve Covers Price?       $70.00
Tall Valve Cover Hold/Bolts    $40.00
Edelbrock has a Formula for    ------
Performance Jegs No Cost       ******
It has Intake,Carb,Gaskets,Bolts,Blue,Silicone.

I apologize for the double post, I don't know why this happened if someone can tell me how to get rid of one I would gladly do so. Thanks...

Bob