• Print Subscriptions
  • Digital Subscriptions
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Subscriber Services
  • Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Full roller rockers w/ roller cam & lifters benefits?

littleNGNthatcould
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 01:49 AM

as the title says, im looking for ways to add a little HP while reducing stress/work on the engine in hopes to increase fuel economy! my plan is to grab a later 302 with the already installed roller cam/lifters to save myself a few hundred.
    now my real question is, which brand of RR would be ideal for my near stock pony, i put roughly 900-1200 miles a year on him, easy driving mostly, but of course a little playing hard is to be expected. i do have a budget, but i also understand "you get what you pay for." in the automotive world. my plan is to use a stock cam unless there is economy cams out there that will add both performance and economy. also some helpful information on any of you guys with 1st hand exp. of the change from factory stamped Rockers to a R.R. swap? and lastly, the basic concept of roller makes sense in my head for reduced heat/friction, but would this benefit me in my quest for better fuel economy? even if 1 mpg gain, it would slowly add up to in my goal.  

jmardlin
New User
Posted: 05/30/13 05:04 PM

Adding roller rockers will greatly decrease the friction in your valvetrain thus adding power at the same rpm without adding more fuel and air. The stock sled style fulcrum stamped steel rocker arms have a ton of friction. The rollers will also likely add a little rpm potential to the engine. The stock rocker are ratio is 1.6 to 1. You could also get 1.7 ratio roller rockers that will give you more valve lift and about 3 degrees more duration at 0.050 valve lift. In essence it would be like adding a little bit bigger cam. With the 1.6 you should gain economy. With the 1.7 you may gain economy over stock and you will gain even more power over the 1.6.  

jmardlin
New User
Posted: 05/30/13 05:09 PM

I had a 1987 Mustang GT 5 speed manual 2.73 rear end gears that was basically stock except of the 1.7 1993 cobra roller rockers. I used Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs in it and got 32 miles per gallon highway going 58 to 60.