• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Can't move shifter out of park on my 95 5.0 GT

berrett963
New User
Posted: 10/14/12 10:10 AM

The transmission shifter cannot be moved without using the alternate method described in the owners manual. Also, there are no brake lights when the brakes are applied. I have checked the fuses, and they all seem to be ok. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/14/12 11:21 AM

there is a shift interlock solenoid that might have failed...

or gotten stuck...

when you turn on the key.. the power comes on and the solenoid energizes... preventing the transmission shifter from being moved out of park...

when you depress the brake .. the brake light circuit somehow turn off the solenoid and the cable is now free to allow the shifter to move..

i am away from my main computer right now... i will be back later this afternoon or this evening....  will do some looking.. see if i can get you a better answer to where to check...  

be sure to open this thread as i am going to edit this post so it won't show up as new...  

berrett963
New User
Posted: 10/14/12 01:34 PM

Thanks. I appreciate your help. Will check back later.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/14/12 06:29 PM

lets take a look at what is known on some brands as the shift interlock cable./solenoid..

its basic part number 3F719

the downward aiming arrow is pointing directly at it in the middle of the image...

it starts at the back of the steering column bracket..   there are 3 wires on it....

one wire is a ground..

one wire comes from the brake light switch.. power when the brake light switch is active..

one wire comes probably from the window switch fuse circuit..   i looked and could not find the exact manual that covers this on a mustang..

i did look around.. and found that usually replacing the cable with a new unit that almost all ford dealers keep in stock will fix the problem...

in one of the wiring diagrams i saw. there are diodes inside it..  if you had a power surge.. like a shorted battery jumper cable.. somebody disconnected a battery cable.. it could have blown the diodes..    i have not had this exact cable out yet...

it is attached to the top of the steering column.. so you will need to drop the column to get at the bolts on the top...

more to come.. as i research...

1995Mustangshiftinterlock Zps6cc5afe9  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/14/12 07:11 PM

i see that some models also have a relay  between the brake light circuit.. and the interlock solenoid...  

how this circuit works...

if there is power on the wire coming in from the left.. the solid state device sends power to the bottom wire engaging the winding and locking the shifter interlock..

if you depress the brake pedal.. turning on the brake lights.. you get power on the wire on the upper right.. this turns off the power to the solenoid..

this circuit.. seems to operate all the time... that would create issues with thermal cycling. where the solder joints might fail...  where the solenoid winding might fail..
turning the key on.. if you could feel the solenoid.. you should feel it click...

there is a quick fix until you can get this tested... reach in and unplug the solenoid on the cable.. this does disable the part of the locking device that prevents the car from coming out of park when the key is on... but the key off.. it should still lock the shifter...

lastly.. you could have an issue at the column...

3F719 Wiring Mustang 96 Zpsef8a6559  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/15/12 01:15 PM

Check the cruise control circut. When I worked for a dealership along time ago. I remember a trans problem was related to something in the brake/cruise control circut. Check the bulbs in both sides.
  I didn't work on it directly but it was weird SOB. Good luck. One other thing to check, the shifter if it's warm that's were your ground is going.  

berrett963
New User
Posted: 10/17/12 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate your time and effort. Can you tell me where to find the relay you mentioned. Also to reach in and unplug the solenoid from the cable, I really don't know where to reach into. Again, any help is appreciated. With sincere thanks.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 10/17/12 10:17 PM

i don't know if you can actually reach the wiring connector on the shift interlock cable...

i always drop the column... its not that hard to ***  

i would imagine that you could reach the 3F719 cable end on top of the steering column under the dash board...  i just don't recall if there is a secondary locking device on it.. or just a squeeze..

seems the original part number has been replaced.. for 94 and 95 models..

: **ZZ-3F719-AC   not a huge amount over 120 bucks at some dealerships..

please verify the part number with the local ford parts counter..  

berrett963
New User
Posted: 10/19/12 06:14 PM

Thanks again. Will keep you posted on any progress.