• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Which shocks and struts should I use with M-5300-B lowering springs?

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 03/11/13 11:15 AM

Hello, I have a 1999 V6 Mustang that came with Ford Racing M-5300-B lowering springs when I bought it. I love the stance, but hate the ride! It is so stiff I cringe when approaching unavoidable bumps in the road. It has stock shocks and struts, and want to replace them with ones that match my springs, but don't know which ones to get. The springs have a front drop of about 1-1/8" and the rear is 3/4". I believe the ride is so firm is because the stock shocks/struts are constantly being compressed a little since the springs are shorter, essentially making the ride stiff. I will be getting 18x9 wheels in front and 18x10 in the rear shortly.

Which shocks/struts should I get to match my springs for a not too hard/not too soft ride?  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 03/12/13 03:26 PM

twisttwist

Not for anything, but did they suggest using a specific strut or shock with that set-up? It doesn't seem right they would do something like that. I know some makers do, they only care about their bottom line.

I had a similar situation with Eibach. A complete kit. All the numbers were correct on the lowering spring kit, spring etc. I purchased from them. Nothing fit. I got the run around from them and gave up on them....1st and last time I'll do business with them....

Bob aka-pepsi1  

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 03/13/13 09:11 AM

Who do you mean by "they"? The springs were installed on the car when I bought it about 6 months ago, I believe the previous owner took the easy/lazy/cheap way to lower the car by only putting springs on it instead of doing it the right way and getting matching shocks/struts/insulators. Anyway, I stopped by my local O'Reilly's last night and asked them if they could look up parts to match my springs. After talking for a good 25 minutes, they gave me two choices.
The first option was to go with Monroe's Sensa-Trac line, which the models are 5968(shocks) and 71962(struts). The shocks are $30.99 each and the struts are $86.99 each, totaling $235.96 for a pair of each. Also, Monroe has a $60 rebate going on now if I were to buy this package, which would bring the price down to $175.96. It doesn't matter where I buy the parts from, the rebate will still be valid.
The second option was to go with KYB's Excel-G/GR-2 line, which the models are 235060(shocks) and 344433(struts). The shocks are $104.60 each and the struts are $64.41 each, totaling $338.02 for a pair of each.
So after I was told all this, I had them write down the models of both brand's parts. I went home and did some research(a lot more than needed, I even made a table which I'll attach a picture of) to find who had both packages cheapest. I found the complete Monroe package from Amazon for $166.28($106.28 after the rebate, with free shipping of course) and the complete KYB package, also from Amazon, for $179.08.

I like the prices of both packages, but can't decide! I know the KYB's are a little bit better parts, but would it be worth it for a car I plan on keeping for 4-5 years?

Prices  

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 03/13/13 09:11 AM

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

n4speed50
New User
Posted: 03/15/13 07:53 AM

Ford Racing does not sell a strut/shock package for the 1999 Mustang..but they do recommend an adjustable strut/shock package so you can choose the ride for your
car. I have a Mustang performance parts business and if you contact me at n4speed50@hotmail.com I can help you..Geoff