• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Where to get 1999 Mustang trans rebuilt in Michigan?

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 01/10/13 06:39 PM

Hey guys, my transmission in my 1999 V6 Mustang 5-speed is going to need to be rebuilt. The 4th and 5th gear syncros are definitely bad, when I shift into 5th at any RPM it grinds into gear(yes I am pushing the clutch all the way in lol!). This has started to happen to 4th gear over the past few weeks also, so I know it is getting worse. The only way around the grinding is to shift out of 4th and wait 3-4 seconds before putting it into 5th. As time goes by 5th gear is getting ground down more and more, so I know it is going to need to be replaced. On a side note, I was wondering if it is possible to get a smaller 5th gear put in? I would like to get a little better mpg. So what my question is: is there anywhere in Michigan to get my transmission rebuilt for a good price with good quality parts? I am located in Saline, MI, but I am willing to drive a few hours to take it to someone. Has anyone else gotten their transmission rebuilt around here or know of a good transmission shop?

Thanks,

Ryan  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/12/13 07:29 AM

with your description... yes the syncros could be failing..

but i worry .. as i have run across this on other cars...

that the clutch cable has stretched...

that the clutch cable brackets have started to fail allowing the casing to move instead of transferring all the motion to the cable core..

and the USUALL cause...

the clutch pedal quadrant has gotten out of adjustment or is failing..  

when you depress the clutch pedal... do you start feeling the pressure plate within an inch of the top of depressing the clutch.. or does it start much farther down????

let me find one of several articles on the clutch cable quadrant... its the plastic adjuster on the clutch pedal up out of sight...

it is the cause of troubles like yours where you are not getting a full stroke of movement relayed to the clutch fork...  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/12/13 07:34 AM

here is an article about installing a replacement adjustable quadrant...

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_1012_adjustable_clutch_cable_system_installation/

here is another..

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0908_motorsports_clutch_release_system/viewall.html

hope this helps...  

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 01/13/13 05:49 PM

When you say "feeling the pressure plate", do you mean when the clutch starts to slip if I am giving it some gas and the same time, or when the pedal gets firm as I press it? But as a side note, as I move the shifter over to the right to go into 5th/reverse, it is a lot harder to move it that way than into 1st/2nd. Could that mean anything?  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/14/13 07:16 AM

nope... not quite..

feeling where the clutch pedal being pushed down starts to touches the clutch fingers.. to start the release of the disc...

with the pedal at the upper position with your foot off...  there is normally 1/2" to 1" of downward pedal movement before you feel the throw out bearing touch the clutch cover fingers...   reach in with your hand and push the clutch pedal down a few times.. you will feel this..

if the pedal starts to release farther down do to the cable stretching.. or the quadrant being out of adjustment..   there will not be enough movement transfered from the pedal to the clutch cover to completely release the disc..  so the disc will drag as you are trying to shift... making it hard to shift and clashing gears...  

you could still have bad syncros of other damage inside the transmission...

but i have dealt with a lot of clutch issues that seemed to be transmission issues..

were you able to read through the links i posted to the articles here in the magazines.. then click thru the images..  

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 01/16/13 04:44 PM

Okay I felt it out in my car today. I can only feel about an inch of movement. Even it the cable was stretched, why would it only affect 4th and 5th gear? I did read them, but I'm not too knowledgeable about transmissions, so it was hard to understand.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 01/16/13 05:51 PM

if you can feel the pedal start to depress the clutch fingers at an inch down..

then you have probably worn syncros.. or other problems..

its better to know that  its NOT the clutch causing the issue  as thats unrelated to the transmission...  

twisttwist
New User
Posted: 01/17/13 05:33 PM

Yes that's what I am feeling. I am probably getting it rebuilt by Pro-force Performance in Atlanta, GA for 1100 bucks, they specialize in T5's. Actually it is an exchange really, they ship me a rebuilt T5 in a crate and once I get in installed in my car I send my old one back in the same crate. So technically my car's down time is as long as it takes to get the new trans put in(for me about a day). And even though it's not the clutch, I am still putting in a new one while the trans is out anyway. Any recommended type/brand of clutches for a car driven daily, with the occasional street race here and there? Wink The only upgrades I have are a cold air intake and an exhaust, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!