• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Power windows

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 03/25/13 06:02 PM

Hello everyone I ran into a problem with my 1990 mustang gt. first the engine was switched to carbureted 83 engine along with the dash and wiring. The gt had power windows but they are now disconnected how would I get power back to the windows and door locks to make the functional? Which wires do I have to power and ground? Do I only have to power the drivers side and the passenger side will work? Do I need a relay? I tried powering the switch directly to the door but no luck. They used to work before the swap so I know the motors are good. I just need help on how to get them working again. The 83 never had power windows and door locks.  Confused
What do I need to do
Help please  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/25/13 08:15 PM

wow...

a question .. do you still have the dash harness from the 1990 with the proper connectors for the power windows and door locks...

or are/is the power window and door lock harness from DOOR TO DOOR still intact and installed???

to make the power windows work...   there are a bunch of ways..   the window switches are REVERSING..

there is a GROUND and a POSITIVE...   when depressed in one direction.. the contacts close sending positive down one wire and negative the other... move the switch the other way.. negative down the first wire and positive down the other..  this makes the power window motors and the door lock solenoids  bidirectional..

do you have a full set of wiring diagrams for the power windows and another for the door locks in the 90 mustang.???

as for needing a relay.. i will have to look at the diagram...

newer cars are 20 times more complex... as they use CAN...  to control the power windows..  the switch asks the computer to move the window.. the computer sends a signal to the window power module and makes the window move..   the guys who figured that out must have been a fan of the game mouse trap... lets see how complicated we can make a car..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/25/13 08:26 PM

perhaps this will help

Mustang87 92%20Powerwindowwiring  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/25/13 08:32 PM

this is a ford crown vic power door locks diagram covers 89 to 98

should be almost identical to your system..   less 2 doors...

0900C152801e4c3a  

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 03/26/13 04:26 AM

I do not have the dash harness from the 1990's but the power door lock and window harness is still intact and installed.
I do not have a wiring diagram and the one that you showed me I found and tried powering up the pink wire but had no luck.  Confused
What is another way to power these windows and doors. I am so lost, how do I make it bidirectional??? I tried powering and grounding the switch directly with no luck.  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/26/13 06:01 AM

the pink wire gets switched power.... power with the key on ....

the black wire has to be grounded...  

lets look under the hood...

negative side of the battery..

should be a cable from the negative side that connects to engine block..

but there should also be a smaller cable that connects to the inner fender from the negative battery terminal..

on the back of the engine ..  there should be a braided ground strap or wire .. from the back of the engine block to the firewall...

if you don't have a ground connection from the battery negative cable to the body .. and you don't have a ground strap.. you won't have any electrons flowing in the body... to supply current to the various devices that are grounded to the body..

yes.. i am saying that electrons flow from negative to positive...

if you don't have a good NEGATIVE connection all the way to the battery.. you won't have enough electrons to operate your device..

so its not really a ground..  its the Negative connection.. half the circuit..  and the side that delivers electrons..  

waynep71222
User
Posted: 03/26/13 06:25 AM

do you have a test light...

stick it into the black wire...  hook the clip to a body ground ...    operate the window  switch... you should NOT get any glow from the bulb ..  if you do.. then you have a bad ground connection..

if you have a set of jumper cables...  you can hook up just the negative cable from the battery terminal... to the body of the car... find a bolt.. perhaps one of the nuts that holds the strut mounts in.. NOT THE SHOCK CENTER BOLT..  that might be a decent ground if the paint is not insulating the stud...

take a look at some pictures i have posted..

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport Firewallground Zps7f7fb91c

2001Rangerfirewallgroundstrap

be sure to scroll back and forth to see the entire images...

this is around the proper year mustang harness ground connections up front...

i put green squares around the ground connections... 2 on the core support... one on the inner fender.. one on the front of the engine block..  this image does not show the engine to firewall ground connection that is also required..

1992Mustang50batterycablegrounds  

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 03/30/13 07:49 PM

Thanks for the help. So far I still can't get them to work I took the battery out of the car and connected it directly to the wire harness itself for both pos. and neg. & still no luck. I then used a test-light in-between the lines and when I push the power window button it does light, but the window still doesn't function. What else can I do. I live in fl. and with no ac or windows open it gets to hot to drive  Frown
Maybe I am missing something.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 03/30/13 09:19 PM

rig up some test probes...

unplug the window motor or at the switch... find the 2 wires that lead to your drivers window motor...

hook positive on one wire.. negative touch to the other...  if the window motor moves.. good.. reverse the wires to make it run the other way...

this proves the window motor works ..

this proves the window regulator and the drive gear in the side of the window motor work...

there are SHEAR pins that can break off inside the drive gear in the window motor...

removing the window motor requires drilling 3.. usually 9/16" holes in the lower inside part of the door.. ford dimpled exactly where to drill ... you can see them with the door panel off..

thank you ford engineers where ever you are..

the diagrams are bigger than you can see...

print them out...

do you have single window switches.. or a 5 button switch

waynep712222
User
Posted: 03/30/13 09:35 PM

fixing electronics is not easy..

i have been doing this for like 34 years.. since i graduated a year full time of automotive training..