• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

crank wont turn

mando_5.0
New User
Posted: 03/14/13 09:59 PM

Ok im new to the forums but hopefully someone can help ima start step by step on what went WRONG
a few weeks ago i bought a fox body a buddy of mine gave me a few parts he had frome his old 5.0 wich included edelbrock upper and lowe intake.i installed them put everything back together and i had a piece of rubber gasket frome the lower intake inbetween the posotive and negative post on the battery..i thught no big deal its rubber.so i cranked the car one time in turned but didnt start i figured it was the distributor so i tweeked and as i went to crank again it made a hard knock sound and the lights went instantly dim so i put jumper cables to it and it started smokin frome the post on the battery on my car so i dis connected the jump cables and took off the ground frome the battery a few seconds later i tap the ground on the battery and its giving out a heavy spark and i can hear something knocking it sounded like the starter and everytime i tap the ground on the post it makes a sound frome the starter so i flung the piece of rubber frone the battery just cus it wstas in the way and just out of curiosity i tapped the negtive on the post again and it stopped the noise and heavy spark so i tried crankin again now its just giving one hard knock sound like the engine locked up i removed the starter and it spins so idk wht the next step is...i know its allot to read but any help is better than no help thanks  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 03/15/13 01:56 PM

I don't understand the complete story you wrote so I will start here.

1.If you removed the distributor and you don't have it timed correctly it will sound for example like it broke a rod

2.If you didn't remove the distributor and removed the ignition wires and didn't get them in their correct places it will also sound like #1

3.Check to see if your starter solenoid isn't welded together internally. Get a VOM and go across each terminal. If they are open its okay

4.If you were using a cell phone to text your message please retype it so we can help you.

5.For the time being disconnect all the battery sources from your car. Until you figure out what went wrong somewhere

Bob aka-pepsi1  

mando_5.0
New User
Posted: 03/15/13 06:33 PM

Yea i removed the distributor when i put it back i cranked it and it spun over once and after that when i crank it it makea a loud pop a sound like the motor locked im thinkin i could be the distributor causing it to do that  

Bobs427
New User
Posted: 03/16/13 04:50 PM

mando

If you removed the distributor and then just stuck it back in. Chances are you got the engine out of time.

I would suggest getting a service manual. It will explain how to find TDC on plug #1 and then to set the timing so it will run.

Or if you have a friend that knows his way around an engine.

Or get it to a garage that won't kill you and have them set it up for you.

try these website for a service manual. www.cartechbooks.com You can check them out on the web site before you purchase the books.

Not much more to tell you to do

Bob