• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Every time I make a turn backfires

Lovingtragidy
New User
Posted: 04/11/13 06:47 PM

Please help with ideas of where to start. Every time I make a turn my car sputters & backfires really bad :-/ it does it once in awhile in straight driving, but mostly on turns. The car drives just fine in cruise control though. It is a 1999 regular Mustang 3.8  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/12/13 09:35 AM

first check... the ground connections around the engine compartment.

there are 2 on top of the core support next to the hood support bumpers...

there is a ground connection near the starter solenoid on the inner fender...

be sure to examine the wiring to the ground ring terminals..  i have found some that were fatigued and the strands broken...

you will want to disconnect each of the ground connections and wire brush both sides of the ring terminal and a little around where they mount to.. .

why.. because electrons flow from Negative to positive..  loose ground connections.. you won't have enough electrons to operate the circuit..

you will also want to check the wiring to the starter solenoid... take them off the stud with all the wires on it.. counting the wires..  wire brushing the ring terminals.. wire brushing the stud then counting them and reinstalling them..

cost in parts above.. 3 or 4 bucks for a stainless steel wire tooth brush from the hardware or paint store..

you may also want to verify that the ignition switch electrical connector is properly installed.. that the ignition switch is not falling apart...  there have been instances of the ignition switch internal contacts burning at the edges...

i have had one.. that just the keys swinging on the ignition key was enough to shut off a car.. .. drove me and a bunch of other mechanics crazy as none of us could duplicate the stalling at stop signs..   i did find that the ground connection at the block was bad also.. somebody had replaced the end of the battery ground cable terminal with a monster sized terminal and crimped it with a hammer..  it was really loose...

print this test and run it.. this is an image like a photograph...

Voltagedroptesting

post results..

by number...