• Print Subscriptions
  • Digital Subscriptions
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Subscriber Services
  • Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

4 Banger Project. need suggestions plzz.

88_STANG_BANGER
New User
Posted: 04/14/13 01:52 AM

So I have an 88 mustang ox notchback has v8 rearend calverius hood weld racing rims cobra tired. Really nice ride.except the guy put the 4 banger back in it instead of the 351 clevland. Just recently got tranny rebuilt for 2.3 and now catylic converter is smokin. So my question is what is the best muffler set up to get? Also I have been debating on a cold air intake or since I have the.cal hood, replacing stock intake with a direct open filter?. I know I should get a 5.0 or a nice Windsor motor but I have this motor so might as well make the best of it. Thanks for the help.  

88_STANG_BANGER
New User
Posted: 04/14/13 01:57 AM

LX NOTCHBACK dang auto correct.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/14/13 08:52 AM

a few questions from me..

is the smoke coming out the back of the exhaust pipe near the back bumper   or from under the car where the  if the car is an automatic... could have a leaking cooler line.. throttle valve cable or dip stick tube.. or even something else on the case spraying transmission fluid on the exhaust.. even a drip from the seal on the tail housing..

if its coming out the exhaust    what color...  blue.. light blue...   white ... black or grey??

depends on what's getting burned..

i am taking that you installed the port fuel injected 2.3 motor with the throttle body up almost on top of the valve cover..

if you want the 4 cylinder..  but need more power.. search out an 86, 87, 88 thunderbird turbo coupe.. or a cougar version..  i know that cougars had them in 86 as i worked on one.. they just did not have the inter cooler.

the 86 cougar was in for repairs as my boss drove a 87 turbo coupe... the cougar smoked and ran horrible.. it had sat in the parking lot for a while as the mechanics before i arrived had not been able to fix it...  one day we needed to move it.. so two of us hooked up the battery.. the other tech jumped in.. and started it.. i was looking under the hood...  there is a braided ground strap from the back of the cylinder head as i recall.. it was sparking like crazy..  i got a wrench and tightened it up...  cured the cars ills..  a bad ground connection between the block and the body of the car..  that car must have been worked on my 5 or 6 mechanics.. until i stumbled on it...

after that i figured out a voltage drop test that i use on almost every car..

print this chart image. its a jpg.. then test your car..

Voltagedroptesting  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/14/13 09:35 AM

oh.... lastly to get it to run the best....   you have to complete and pass with a PASS 11 code.. the KOEO and KOER self tests..

this requires accessing the EEC4 connector under the hood..  actron makes a 32 buck EEC4 code reader. that plugs in so you can run the various self tests...  you will also need a ford either HC manual section or a drivability manual for that year..  or an online subscription.. to one of the info providers..  eautorepair dot net  or alldatadiy dot com..  as the 88 model requires somewhere over 100 pages just for trouble shooting the emissions and fuel control system..

the 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars with fords EEC4 fuel injection system... when properly operating and the SELF tests are passed... can get crazy fuel mileage..  my sisters 87 town car after i finished replacing some worn out components.. and passing the self test.. got 29 MPG out on the highway...  my sister drives with a steady barely moving foot..  keeping traffic evenly spaced out... so she is not on the throttle trying to catch up or off the throttle attempting to decellerate.. just slight movements to keep an even pace with traffic..  she gets better mileage with the cruise control off..  as its looking at keeping a steady speed and the cruise control moves the throttle more than she does..  

88_STANG_BANGER
New User
Posted: 04/14/13 03:52 PM

The car sat for 4 ta 5 years. Smoke is white only coming from the catylic converter. All lines are good just replaced the tranny on iy. And yes automatic. No smoke from back of tailpipe. And if I got the turbo for it what all should I take from the coupe? I heard you have to get new heads or pistons if you put in the turbo.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/14/13 05:10 PM

turbo swap...   the WHOLE engine ... intakes... exhaust...  perhaps even the transmission.. and computer and harness.....

there are a lot of differences..  a good idea not to turn loose of the donor until you have the swap completed...

a lot of the turbo coupes are being sold cheep as ford wants 5 grand + when the master cylinder or booster assembly goes bad..  

rims and tires fit also..

there are significant differences between a turbo 2.3 and a non turbo...

the turbo motor has forged pistons.. better forged rods.. forged crank.. bigger injector flow..  the block is slightly different also... as is the head..

and 220 horsepower or so...

if you end up with one. i think the sway bars also fit off the front..

did you know that the 87 turbo coupes with the 5 speed transmissions will run against the SPEED LIMITER.. at 143MPH... when in proper tune... the automatics were limited to 120MPH because of transmission issues..

there are several articles spread around the web about these swaps...

by the way... one can disable the antilock brakes and replace the broken self powered hydraulic brake booster and master with a conventional booster and master combo from a non turbo tbird... there are a few things to do with the brake lines also but nothing that cannot be done in a few days...  the antilock system was excellent but EXPENSIVE ..  the 87 turbo coupe models could also cut corners with corvettes...  if not out corner them.. over .9 Gs as i recall..

lets get your 2.3 running till you run across a turbo car...  don't forget SVO mustangs also..
i saw one that ran go for 800 bucks last year here in la.. the owner just did not need it any more..

cats should NOT smoke.. unless there is oil on them...  or something is leaking on them...

could the heater core be leaking... and the heater box drain be pouring down on top of the cat..

or a heater hose dripping on the exhaust or cat..

inside the cat.. is a layer of high temp steel mesh that surrounds the honeycomb block.. to support and stop it from rattling around inside.. it has a wash on the ceramic of exotic metals that act like a catalyst to break down the exhaust gasses into different ones..

if you had a high temp infrared thermometer..  and held the engine at a steady speed of 2500 RPMs for a minute.. then measured the inlet temp and the outlet temp...   it should be 100 F hotter coming out than going in.. as there is actual combustion happening right inside the cat..

it might just be condensation.. or residual oil in the exhaust..  or a coolant leak in the motor...  

88_STANG_BANGER
New User
Posted: 04/14/13 09:11 PM

THANKS for replying and it runs already just gotta put powersteering on it. And oil is in the cat took it off today.  Can't find a turbo coupe with turbo still in it lol been looking. By any chance you don't live by st.Louis do ya  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/15/13 12:22 AM

st louis... hmm...

was the car parked with just water in the cooling system...  or a dry cooling system..

over significant amounts of time.. coolant /anti freeze separates from water.. water goes upward...  since your area experiences deep freezes.. it might have a cracked head...

there are oil galleys in the head.. along with the coolant jackets.. intake and exhaust ports..

a cracked head could have come from several things...

you could also have a valve stem seal thats failing.. or a valve cover area that is NOT draining properly..  so oil when the engine is running is building up above the top of the valve guides..  where it can be pulled in..   i don't know where the PCV is picked up at on that year.. the earlier models had a breather box on the side of the block under the intake right behind the distributer cap..  ya wonder if that could be clogged also????

could also have bad valve guides..

lastly.. got any valve cover leaks on the passenger side of the motor.. if its leaking down around the exhaust manifold.. and the manifold gaskets are wicking it up.. your whole exhaust system will be filled with oil residue..  it might not even be a very big leak..

i bought a really nice 71 RS camaro for 800 bucks one time..  the engine smoked like crazy.. i told the boss thats fixable.. he did not want to dump any money in it.. i tossed a new set of valve cover gaskets and cleaned out the drain holes.. fixed..   drove it for several years that way..

as for where i am...   lost angels cowabonga .. i have not made it to St louis yet..  

88_STANG_BANGER
New User
Posted: 04/15/13 12:51 AM

Well first thing after work tomorow I will check exhaust and attempt to take apart upper half of engine. And honestly I met a guy once who worked for ford and autozone in the 80s and said that 2.3 wasn't put in the 88s just what I heard tho. It's really irrelavant to any of this haha.
LA that's sweet yeah I grew up in the sticks of ky.
Redneck status cars I'm just learning now riding mowers I can make them things go as fast as a dirtbike. Top speed on my modified 92 craftsman with a briggs motor is 51 mph  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/15/13 07:31 AM

i know the 87 had them.. i was not sure about the 88...  but i wanted to cover everything ..  fuzzy memory... huge concussion last year.. took 3 weeks before i wanted to do anything.

mustangs had them for several years after that..

you might want to just check the exhaust ports first.. and examine the spark plugs for one thats extremely clean... from coolant washing the combustion chamber...

i am taking that this car has been driven... and it has fresh fuel..   and no chance the fuel system is full of fuel stabilizer??? as that would make the exhaust smoke...