• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fan Spacer

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 05/01/13 09:12 PM

Hello everyone. I have a stupid question. I have a 90's mustang with an after-market fan. I was going to upgrade to an electric fan so I removed the four bolts that holds the fan down, the fan came off easy, now i notice that it had some type of spacer on it. How do I remove it? Confused
I put a wrench on it and am able to spin it both left and right but it does not loosen. What do I do to remove this annoying spacer. Do I have to remove the entire pulley? If so how do I do that???  Confused
It is also an after-market pulley that is blue anodized in color. I never installed these items so I have no clue on how to uninstal this to get the spacer out.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/01/13 09:51 PM

sounds like you are dealing with the FAN CLUTCH....

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 05/02/13 06:02 AM

No spacer
Flx 14556  

HondaKiller83
New User
Posted: 05/02/13 06:06 AM

How do I get it out? I already removed the 4 bolts. should it slide out? I am able to spin the spacer round with a wrench. I was going to pursued it with a hammer but didn't want to break anything if it is connected somehow with a screw on the middle or somehow attached to the pulley.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/03/13 10:11 AM

ah... i understand... the fan spacer is centered on the pilot stub sticking out the front of the water pump shaft..

the spacer is probably really tight on the spacer...

a few ways...

and i take the fan blade is off...   stick a bolt or two back in... so the water pump shaft cannot turn behind the pulley...

with the bolts loose... gently tap the sides of the spacer near the fan end.. this will gently rock it... you might be able to get a better grip with the bolts in.. on the pulley... and rock the spacer out..

i have had them that are real pains in the ... to get off... sorry..

do you have a hot air gun... even a blow dryer...  perhaps a small propane torch.. you could heat the spacer near the pulley.. down in the middle of the \/ area... so the center expands.  you will have to use some leather gloves and the bolts thru the adaptor but not tight so you can work it loose...

if you are not going to change the water pump.. don't hammer on the end of the shaft or spacer.. you can dent the bearing races and shorten the life of the pump..

i have use a chisel or gasket scraper to wedge them out.. but usually i use the bolt and rock it around while pulling..

save your self for next time...   either polish the shaft slightly to reduce the size.. or polish the inside of the adaptor..   you could even use something like a wire brush used for cleaning copper pipe before soldering.. to clean the inside of the bore to enlarge it slightly..

heat and thick gloves are probably the best way with your aluminum pulley..

does not take much heat to expand aluminum..  

oamo111
New User
Posted: 08/14/13 06:37 AM

Dude in my point of view you are going wrong why are you removed the original fan of the mustang if you remove than its not came back you just repair the fan and move on with the original fan..  

oamo111
New User
Posted: 08/14/13 06:37 AM

Dude in my point of view you are going wrong why are you removed the original fan of the mustang if you remove than its not came back you just repair the fan and move on with the original fan..