• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

removing heads on 4.6L DOHC aluminator engine

majorv
New User
Posted: 10/12/13 12:55 PM

hi, I'm starting to think we bit off more than we could chew, so to speak!  We're trying to break down the engine on an '04 Mustang.  We need to get the short block into the shop.  Since they will only accept the short block my brother and son decided they'd break the engine down...my brother has done this before on his cars but it's been awhile and not on a DOHC engine.

Anyway, they've gotten to the heads and need to remove the timing chain.  The manual says we need to install a retaining tool to lock the camshafts and also need a camshaft positioning tool for each head.  We're having a heck of a time finding these tools!  We checked at a Ford dealer who is also a Ford Racing authorized parts dealer and they don't have them.  We checked O'Reilly's Auto Parts and that isn't one of the tools they loan out.  Anyone know where we get these tools?  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/12/13 07:20 PM

the tools are made and sold by OTC...

sometimes you can find them on Craigs..

here is the OTC catalog...

this will help you...

http://www2.otctools.com/otctools.com/newcatalog/products/07-138.pdf

once in a while.. some parts stores may have these in their tool loan/rental program..  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 10/12/13 07:30 PM

be sure to check page 10 above...

you should be able to just have the engine set to #1 compression and remove the timing chains..  since you are taking it all apart...

you will have to reassemble it carefully and following instructions...

don't forget to carefully check the cam journals and cam seats in the heads for lack of oil damage....

i know there have been aluminator issues .. there are 4 mustang specific magazines here...  click my user name for others...

there is also hot rod.. car craft.. popular hot rodding... where you might also find issues.. i personally stay away from MOD motors for this reason..

i will have to get into them ..  

i think the pins and retaining tools are needed when removing the heads in chassis.. so you don't have to reset the chains.. as they will slip...  

majorv
New User
Posted: 10/12/13 10:45 PM

Thanks for info. I couldn't find any auto parts stores in our area that had the kit but I did find it pretty cheap on Amazon.  We'll be able to move ahead with breaking it down.  We're just trying to get it running again so we can sell it.  

pepsi1
User
Posted: 10/13/13 08:30 PM

You don't want to make a mistake with the cams and heads. Label the head #1 then the cams intake Head#1 Exhaust #1. then Head #2 intake cam and then #2 exhaust cam. As long as you have a manual follow it to the (T).

Bob

"NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED"