• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Handling improvements

beesco01
New User
Posted: 10/22/13 07:23 AM

Hi. I have been a subscriber to Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords for over a year. I think its a great magazine and I look forward to the articles and information.
I have a 2001 Ford Mustang GT, my green machine. It has a lot of miles on it and in need of a little work. I am new to the do-it-yourself-auto-repair world, so its safe to say that I'm as green as my car when it comes to repair work.
I want to start with the wheels and suspension. I live in Philadelphia, PA where the streets have plenty of bumps and potholes. My green machine is not bump/pothole friendly. What I wanted to know is what would be a good way to improve my green machine's handling/dealing with bumps and potholes. I also want to purchase bigger rims (currently, the wheels are stock 17". I wanted to try 18"). Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work.

Brian,
Philadelphia, PA  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 10/24/13 02:23 PM

potholes...

usually require a tire with a taller sidewall...  so there is more cushion when you find one of the buggers..

talk to several local tire stores..  see what is available..

you might want to post this question along with your tire sizes over at automotive dot com.. click my user name for a link to it..

there is a forum member there who drops in several times a week looking for tire and wheel questions.. he is really sharp on tires.. where i am worn out and have tread showing.

i can tell you why there are POT HOLES..

almost all cities use RECYCLED asphalt.. its made out of the material thats ground up with the cold planers ... usually debris 3/8" and smaller all the way to dust..

asphalt road bed that will last 50 years is made of 90% 3/4" crushed stone with sharp points..  over a compacted bed..   the sharp points of the rock interlock when rolled into place.. the tar is just to hold them in place and to prevent rain water from getting under them and heaving the road bed up when it freezes.. and to prevent washing out..

the only thing that can be done is to use more 3/4" crushed stone virgin material for the asphalt surfaces..  

beesco01
New User
Posted: 10/24/13 05:27 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate it.