• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

What to do for horsepower- 01 Mustang GT

braxton.patterson360
New User
Posted: 02/25/14 08:08 PM

So I just got a 2001 Mustang GT, and all it came with was a K&N intake. Iv'e had it for a little over a month and I'm wondering what to do for horsepower for not a whole lot of money and without supercharging it; for now. Been looking at throttle bodies and gears and just don't know what to specific ones to get. Open to suggestions  

blondie_21684
New User
Posted: 03/04/14 07:17 PM

IMO brand names are just that..granted, depending on the part type, u get what u pay for!  The aftetmarket industry is huge, however, & companies like Late model resto & American muscle have their "brand x" parts which ive found to be reliable & waaay more affordable.  Being said, you need to first establish which direction u wanna go.  If its a dd i highly recommend first doing the typicals...cai, tb, plenum, exhaust, gears, & handheld.  430s are fun in these cars depending on highway use u may want to stick with 373s.  Afterall, if its not enough for you, theres always the juice!!  Nx makes a great plate kit that is both affordable & safe if u stay around 100 shot...hope this helps!  

dcstang99
New User
Posted: 03/17/14 06:56 AM

Lots of cool things you can do. One of the common mods I see my buddies do on the 4.6 is a SCT Tuner which would work perfect with that cold air you have. Also consider making the car gain a few HP and better sound with a cat-back exhaust system. You can get a quality Magnaflow or Pypes exhaust which both sound good and I purchased mine at Cruizin Concepts. I love the Steeda short throw shifters in those cars if its not automatic. Another favorite of mine would also be the 3.73 ring and pinion ratio mentioned above. Other than that you could get a poor mans supercharger, which is Nitrous and its safer than people think. Of course cosmetics can be nice too and a new set of wheels can make you feel like you have a different car. Good luck planning.  
1999 Mustang GT and 2008 Shelby GT500 5.4L W/Mods = Fun!

dcstang99
New User
Posted: 03/17/14 06:58 AM

Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust, Short Throw Shifter by Steeda and SCT Tuner for that Cold air intake you have. Followed by a nice cosmetic upgrade such as replacing the factory wheels and tires.  
1999 Mustang GT and 2008 Shelby GT500 5.4L W/Mods = Fun!

blondie_21684
New User
Posted: 03/18/14 07:23 PM

Buy my car & call it a day  Wink