• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Looking for a car engine to use in my boat

tony.gillis
New User
Posted: 02/27/14 11:46 AM

My 302 based Mercruiser from 1972 is toast - I want to use a junkyard car engine to avoid cost - I will use marine periferals - looking at an '89 roller engine with fuel injection and electronic ignition - both of which I would like to use. Any thoughts?  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/27/14 12:32 PM

i don't know if the Ford EFI is Coast Guard Rated..

if you are going for a used 5.0 EFI.. find one that is not a 5.0EFI.. but an 5.0HO motor from like 89 to 92...  it will have a different firing order.. but it will also if it has not been rebuilt.. Forged pistons..

there is also an issue.. the 302 versions use a heavy weight crank.. the 5.0's use a lighter crank that is also balanced differently.. so you will need a different balancer and what ever is on the flywheel end of the crank..flywheel flex plate..     28 ounce inches verse 50 ounce inches..

these are just issues i thought of..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/27/14 01:15 PM

oh... and just a thought as i used to work on a 104' wooden boat..

i always was fighting rust and corrosion on the engine components..  various other steel items around..

i always thought that when we had stuff off like the oil pans.. or even an engine block and heads.. that it might really help to take those parts to a place that sprays bronze plasma like they did on bronzed baby shoes..  its an arc plasma gun they use..   have the exterior of the parts sprayed..  so there will be non or less corrosion issues..

i don't know if they could use stainless steel welding wire to spray thru their gun.. as that would be far superior for anti corrosive abilities. .  i just have not checked..  

tony.gillis
New User
Posted: 03/04/14 08:26 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. The boat flywheel would have to be used so I do have to be sure the crank flange is the same as the old motor.

As for corrosion yes its always a battle. Especially where I am running on the ocean.  

tony.gillis
New User
Posted: 03/04/14 08:26 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. The boat flywheel would have to be used so I do have to be sure the crank flange is the same as the old motor.

As for corrosion yes its always a battle. Especially where I am running on the ocean.  

tony.gillis
New User
Posted: 03/04/14 08:27 AM

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/04/14 11:26 AM

if you don't exchange the boat flywheel for the later model with the different off balance spec.. you will shake your boat apart as soon as you start it..

use a proper matching motor. with the heavy weight crank instead of the light weight crank..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 03/04/14 11:41 AM

lastly... and i hope you get this before the forums here reformat..

there are special head gaskets for the marine versions... look in a felpro marine gasket catalog..

there are also.. Stainless steel freeze plugs available now..  right across the parts counter at ford if you cannot find them elsewhere..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-221-260-286-302-351W-STAINLESS-STEEL-EXPANSION-FREEZE-PLUG-KIT-WPM-17SSX-/200892546614

and... no matter what they have printed on the head gasket package .. use some bondo spreaders and smear a very thin layer of HYLOMAR gasket sealer on both sides of the head gaskets.. let it air out for 20 or 30 minutes before putting the heads on.. why.. because if you ever overheat the engine.. it will save you from a blown head gasket .. it will also save you from tiny head gasket leaks.. google it.