• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Removing spray paint from plastic

Capri10
New User
Posted: 11/03/13 08:16 PM

I just recently acquired a spoiler from 88 mustang but the previous owner spray painted it purple and i was wondering whats the best way to remove the paint from the plastic with out hurting it, so what kind of products are out there that are safe for the plastic? Thanks, Alex  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/06/13 01:03 PM

depends on the type of paint...  

i took a look at ebay and saw some Unpainted versions for 150... its probably going to cost more than that to get the paint off. unless its just some overspray mist ..

carry it over to an automotive paint store...  ask the countermen in the paint department..  that is where you might get a proper answer..

please... i worked at an commercial movie studio and manufacturing paint store.. don't ask the guy at the oreillys or autozone..  the chance of them knowing as much as an automotive paint store salesman is SLIM...

its probably going to be... sand and reprime sand and prime.. sand and prime.. then dust coat and top coat it.... that will repaint to your favorite color..

autoparts stores sell quart cans of HOT ROD BLACX.. in mat finish and in a semi gloss finish.. that and a 15 buck gravity feed spray gun from HF may get you a decent paint job on it..

please.. use a PRESSURE REGULATOR on the air hose at the gun.. hook it up with a 4 or 5 foot whip hose. in a quick connect set up...

so it goes...

QC plug   inline regulator. flexible hose..  flex joint then quick connect..

this allows you to go from your compressor hose to the regulated whip hose and into your gun.. you want to MIST the paint out of the gun.. you don't want a hurricane blowing it out...  this is when ... less is better..

one last thing.. and this is hard to get across..

an inline air pressure regulator.. will control the complete airflow and pressure. if you turn it down to under 10 pounds.. you can stop the flow with your finger tip and it will never exceed 10 pounds..

there are cheep metering valves that old style professional painters used with their suction cup spray guns... these LIMIT THE VOLUME of air..  but not the pressure in the way a pressure regulator does..  i tried to relate this to a fellow.. who managed to completely misunderstand..  his hot rod black spray paint looked like black beach sand..  it was horrible..  he misunderstood pressure vs metering.  i got him fixed up and  the paint was applied and it flowed out and flattened..  its a beautiful black swede paint job now.. another guy used the metering valve with his big air compressor and 160 pounds of line pressure..  and his new framing nailer..  almost drove the 16 penny nail all the way thru a pair of 2x4's..  when i say... almost all the way thru.. the nail was sticking out over an inch right next to his finger..   he decided. that a hammer was a far safer tool..

some body shops with spray booths will also take on your small job for a decent price... its the PREP thats going to cost.. talk to several in your area...  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/06/13 01:12 PM

oh.. and on a rush delivery i had to make one day back when i worked at the paint store..  i had to deliver to the dukes of hazard set.. there were general lee's parked all over the place. being a hotrod guy.. i was in heaven..  i had just gotten the invoice signed and was pushing my wheel dolly toward the big open door of the sound stage.  a pair of german shepards came into the doorway.. followed by daisy duke in full costume..  what little bit of costume that was... funny.. i still have that image burned into the back of my head..  and i did not even bother looking at the general lees on the way out..  that was a really good day...

and if you think it looked good on TV.. in person.. she was BEYOND stunning..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSQ0YrJnVac

enjoy some general lee drifting ..  

Capri10
New User
Posted: 11/06/13 07:17 PM

thanks Wayne its just rattle can purple am hoping to strip it back to the original red without hurting it. thanks, Alex