• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

93 lx auto 4 cyl. Trouble plz help

jasonscott1311
New User
Posted: 01/27/14 02:47 PM

So I drove to my friends house and hung out for a while. I started my car put it in reverse and the drive pulled around talked to a buddy them took off down the road. I yielded to make a right hand turn off my buddy's street and that's when it all went bad. I was giving it gas and th motor was reving up but I wasn't moving. So I tried to switch through some gears and nothing then it shut off on me... Any ideas of where to start would be greatly appreciated.  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/27/14 08:33 PM

wow...

basic testing...

i have to think about his..

i am taking that it is an automatic.

does the engine crank over when you turn the key..

does the ignition system create spark when you crank the engine...

does the engine create compression when you crank teh engine..

is there a proper level of engine oil in the oil pan .. and coolant in the radiator..  the fluid level in the transmission should be about an inch high on the dipstick with the engine off..  

jasonscott1311
New User
Posted: 01/29/14 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. My fluids are ok when I turn it over the starter just whines. So I pulled the starter and all the teeth were fine. But I can also move the flywheel by hand....  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/29/14 01:01 PM

could you have broken the flywheel... it has happened before..

usually because of a missing alignment pin on the back of the block..

if the flywheel ring gear teeth and the torque converter turn the ring gear.. thats bizzare.. but not unheard of.

please... if you remove the transmission to replace the flywheel

please check the alignment dowels.. they will be in 2 positions. usually hollow and with a bell housing bolt thru them..

also.. take the torque converter out of the transmission..  with the flywheel off.. make sure the torque converter hub is free to slide all the way into and out of the back of the crank..

warning. the converter is going to spill oil if you are not fast in getting the opening pointing upward.. then draining it part way by tipping it up at an angle over a drain bucket.

i can now explain why the engine died also...

because the loss of the torque converters mass removed the rotating inertial mass that kept the engine running..  4 cylinders fire every half turn..  at idle. there is not a lot of weight without the torque converter or flywheel to keep the 3 non powered cylinders moving.. at least one will be on the compression stroke..

now it all makes sense..  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 01/29/14 01:08 PM

one last thing.. if the flywheel broke.. there is a chance the front pump bushing and seal in the transmission were damaged. and these are NOT easily replaced on this model..

that model with the 4 cylinder engine has the A4LD transmission.. which is a modification of the C3 transmission.. these have the front pump seal and hte front pump mounted to the bellhousing..  there is also an issue of the bell housing bending/distorting slightly. so the transmission centerline does not line up perfectly with the engine crankshaft centerline..  the bell housing is really too thin..  but there is NO WAY TO fix that thin issue..

the front pump bushing is replaced and bored in place ..

please.. be super careful that if you remove the transmission. that you don't drop it off the transmission jack onto the bell housing.. or bang it hard..

this is not something you will hear from other mechanics.. but i am unlike other mechanics..  

jasonscott1311
New User
Posted: 02/07/14 06:01 PM

Awesome insight!! Thanks a lot! I'll be tearing into it first thing when I get back from a work trip. I'll post about the progress... Thanks again!?!  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 02/07/14 06:22 PM

lets do some diagnosis..

if you activate the starter motor.. does the engine turn...

if you remove the starter so you can see the flywheel teeth.. and you turn the crank with a socket and breaker bar...  can you see the flywheel and torque converter turn...

if the engine turns..  do you have compression.. compression testers are cheep and are in the loan a tools section of some parts store chain stores..

because of the counter bored spark plug thread hole design.. you will need a 14MM x3/4"reach hose.. the 1/2" inch reach hose will not work..

you could have a broken timing belt.. a broken cam.. a broken crank.. a broken aux shaft..

its hard to tell..