• Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vin Number location and build code

Wyo1965
New User
Posted: 01/14/08 12:33 PM

Hi out there

I just bought a '65 Mustang coupe I am going to restore and need to know where to find the VIN number. Second, there is no build plate on the door so was it stamped somewhere else on the car? Third is there a way of traceing the history of this car from the VIN to find the origional owner and maybe some of the cars history.

Thanks, wyo1965  

dfarr
User
Posted: 01/14/08 02:25 PM

There should be a tab, visible from outside the car, where the dash pad meets the windshield on the driver's side. Also, you may be able to find the VIN on a build plate, located under the hood, either on top of the engine compartment on the passenger-side near the hood hinge or on the radiator support in front of the battery. However, those tags are often missing.

It can be difficult to trace a car's history. Vehicle registration information is maintained by different departments in different states. If anyone else has advice about tracing a Mustang's history, we'd love to hear it.

Donald Farr
Editor  

Wyo1965
New User
Posted: 01/14/08 05:40 PM

Thanks for the reply but...

I don't think that in 1965 they stamped VIN numbers under the lower windshield drivers side. At least I can't see any evidence of one ever having been there. All of the tags are gone Did Ford ever stamp them on the frame somewhere?  

Thanks, wyo 1965  

dfarr
User
Posted: 01/15/08 09:38 AM

You're absolutely correct - Ford didn't start using the windshield location until 1968. My bad.

For 65-67, the VIN is stamped on the top of the left front fender apron. You can find it with the hood open. There should be cut-out in the fender sheetmetal.

I've heard that VINs were stamped in other locations but I don't know where they are.

Donald  

dabigmonky
New User
Posted: 02/25/08 03:04 PM

I too have this problem, but I have a 67 mustang fastback. Does anyone else know if there are any other stamps on the body of the car? OR if I can order the inner fender with the stamp anywhere?  

dfarr
User
Posted: 02/26/08 09:13 AM

Kevin Marti just published a new book about Mustang VINs and tag codes, inlcuding buck tags, which can provide some information about a Mustang's original equipment and options. Check it out in our blogs.

Donald  

ANGELSMOM93
New User
Posted: 06/18/08 02:51 PM

I've kind of came upon a 65 which we have to do a lein sale on therfore the vin # needs to be reported and when I did use the numbers on the Left front fender apron which also on the driver side door jam, DMV said that it was not a usable vin #.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 06/19/08 02:39 PM

Ok, here's the scoop. 65-66 mustang cars have the vin # stamped on the left front fender apron and the right front fender rear apron (in the cutout Mr. Farr described). In addition there is supposed to be a door tag on the left door above the door latch.

I went thru the same thing you both have reported.

Bottomline, unless there's a build data sheet hidden in the car somewhere, you're out of luck for getting any type of history for the car.

Kevin Marti only has from 67 forward.

All is not lost however, I recreated my door tag by searching ebay for my year car's with (R Vins in my case) similar unit data range (starts at 100001) and then asking the owners of those cars for their door tag info.  Based on that and the options currently on the car, auto trans, c code, interior configuration, axle estimation, I was able to create all but the DSO & paint number. I put the paint color closest to the color I am going to paint my car and the DSO to San Jose since that's who built the car (R code).

New door tags can be purchased from kevin Marti or Virginia Mustang with the data stamped onto them.  

Herodians
New User
Posted: 06/19/08 09:11 PM

You are right I have a 65 coupe and in the cut out on the drivers side.  The passenger side also has this info, but there is no cut out.  The problem here is that if the car was in a wreck these could be replaced.  To get info about your car for the door plate and to get a close build date. there are three peices of info that you can look for.  The engine tag this will give you engine displacment and date.  The trans also has a tag for type and date. I also think there is some other info there.  the third tag is on the rearend this will give you gear ratio and date.  if you are a lucky one you could have a build sheet under the dash or under carpet.

Herodians  

lpgor
New User
Posted: 07/17/08 03:58 AM

I have a 69 Mach with the buck tag on the fender.  According to this article from 68 up they were located on the front radiator support.  Mine is not.  Anyone know why this would be?

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_051200_ford_mustang_laws_codes/engines.html  
67 Wimbeldon White fastback
69 Raven black Mach 1
01 Mineral Gray Cobra
68 Polar white Cougar XR7

lpgor
New User
Posted: 07/17/08 04:11 AM

I have a 69 Mach with the buck tag on the passenger fender.  A Mustang monthly article states from 68 up they were located on the front radiator support.  Mine is not.  Anyone know why this would be?  
67 Wimbeldon White fastback
69 Raven black Mach 1
01 Mineral Gray Cobra
68 Polar white Cougar XR7

68dreamstang
User
Posted: 07/19/08 07:59 PM

FYI my 68 does not have the vin located on the passengers side of the dash just inside the window as everyone keeps saying. but mine does have the vin located under the drivers And passengers fenders. i have also been told by a coworker that has rebuilt several stangs tell me that on the under side of the rear seat is a tag similar to a buck tag  

soaring3
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/20/08 04:47 PM

Do you not have the original paperwork for the car, and you are trying to get it registered?  If that is the case, then drive it to Texas and give them the number on the inside of the driver's inner fender and they will issue you plate.  Once you have those, just take it back to your state and re-register it in your state.  Now, when you come to Texas, you have to come see me so I can drive your Mustang and we can drink beer and play golf.  Deal?  
soaring3

65Mustang806
New User
Posted: 03/08/09 11:41 AM

did ford ever stamp them on the frame somewhere?  vin number  

Geisert
New User
Posted: 04/08/09 09:22 AM

I have a weird case on my 65 Mustang Convertible where the VIN number looks screwy on the left front fender.  The stamp is messy.  The first couple of numbers and letters are mis-aligned, almost like it was stamped twice.  It does not look fraudulent, just looks like the factory was doing this stamp at 4:59pm on a Friday (know what I mean?) The car has a plate on the inside of the drivers door and the numbers look like they match the ones on the fender, but there is a dash in the VIN number on the fender instead of a number.

Numbers on the door plate say: 5R08A156893
Numbers on the fender say:       5R0-A156893

I realize from the decoder VIN book that the "08" represents that it is a convertible, which it clearly is, but has anyone seen VIN numbers or heard that the VIN numbers stamped on the fender of a 65 convertible omit the "8" and put a "-"?  I am just curious....

Thanks!  

123 Last