123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vin Number location and build code

Mil1ion
User
Posted: 04/09/09 11:19 AM

I may as well post this in here

2174520560012099056S600x600q85  
My Name is Dennis and I approve this message !

"So that is how you shine a skunk ? "

Toms65stang
User
Posted: 04/09/09 06:03 PM

ok first off thats a door tag that was posted and after 40 some odd yrs most of the cars are missing them.
as for the location of the vin numbers...pop the hood ...look to your right and see the cut out in the fender...theres your vin number.....wait now..take the fender off (unbolt it from the car you'll find another location of the vin numbers....thats if the car hasnt been wrecked in 45 yrs and the left or right side of the car hasnt been rebuilt with aftermarket parts.   now if you did find those numbers take off the passenger side fender. look close to the back near the door area on top...you will find another set of numbers...surprise theres a nother set of vin numbers.   yes thats the 3 areas ford put them in 1965...if they all match then you know the front end is orignal for the most part...you never know what kind of metal has been replaced in 45 yrs....  

fox79
New User
Posted: 05/05/09 11:03 PM

what about my '79 fox? where can i find the stamp of chassis number for my 1979 foxbody?  

68stangerinCT
New User
Posted: 05/29/10 08:53 AM

Hello Fello Stangers I have A vin Number location problem. I have a 1968 Convertible. I have found the vin numbers located on the driver door and the driverside fender (top side). I am going to register this car in ct (beleive the DMV here was established by Hitler). Are there any other locations. I have also torn my dash APART to no avail. PLEASE HELP !!!!Happy Motoring  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 06/01/10 12:17 PM

Icon Quote68stangerinCT:
Hello Fello Stangers I have A vin Number location problem. I have a 1968 Convertible. I have found the vin numbers located on the driver door and the driverside fender (top side). I am going to register this car in ct (beleive the DMV here was established by Hitler). Are there any other locations. I have also torn my dash APART to no avail. PLEASE HELP !!!!Happy Motoring

Not sure what the issue is. If you have two of the 3 sources of Vin's (3rd one is the rear apron top under the right front fender); do you have a problem or just paranoid about going to the DMV?  

68stangerinCT
New User
Posted: 06/07/10 03:01 AM

Icon Quote68stangerinCT:

Icon Quotejlg2002:
Not sure what the issue is. If you have two of the 3 sources of Vin's (3rd one is the rear apron top under the right front fender); do you have a problem or just paranoid about going to the DMV?

Hey thanks for getting back. I registered the car without a problem. Historically the DMV in my state has been a big pain in the butt. When I couldnt locate the vin on the dash I started to freakout simply because I didnt know what they(DMV) would be looking for. They checked the vin on the front apron and that was good enough. Surprizingly no hassle to register this car. Thank you and take care.  

michellee
New User
Posted: 08/03/10 08:37 PM

I am trying to figure what my original color of my 1965 that I just purchased.  Can anyone help?
Thanks!!  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 08/04/10 12:09 PM

Icon Quotemichellee:
I am trying to figure what my original color of my 1965 that I just purchased.  Can anyone help?
Thanks!!

If your drivers door has a tag there 's a paint code. Other wise you'll need to get to some place were it's unlikely been repainted and match it with a color coupon.  

jesusmarina
New User
Posted: 10/15/10 03:55 PM

i have a 65 f/b, vin # 5F09A741892, the body shop lost my vin data plate and need to do a new one, but i need date of fabrication, can any one help me? thanks jam  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 10/19/10 12:09 PM

Icon Quotejesusmarina:
i have a 65 f/b, vin # 5F09A741892, the body shop lost my vin data plate and need to do a new one, but i need date of fabrication, can any one help me? thanks jam

All you can do is keep looking for similar model year combo and ask them for data plate info. (I had the best luck on the ebay mustangs for sale pages). There are no records for pre 67 cars.  

54packman
Enthusiast
Posted: 10/19/10 03:01 PM

I think you may have a problem, i just searched you vin #5F09A741892 in another mustang site and your VIN number cam up with all the information Body is 63A, color 3, interior D6, Date 26S, DSO 91, Axle A, trans 5, engine A, factory F. Found this information  in early-mustang.com database... so unless there is another car running around with the same vin # or its been used on another i wonder how its showing up here...  

jmb71
New User
Posted: 06/03/12 07:11 AM

It is located at the top of the drivers side fender, and also on the seatbelts there is sometimes a number patched there. I was told that the last 3 numbers on the vin was the production number of when this car was made. I have a 64 1/2 Mustang Coupe Pony I am restoring.  

1bigwilbur
New User
Posted: 11/10/12 12:29 AM

Looking through a couple of decoders it looks like the '-' signifies sports roof which I assume is a different type of convertible.

5 - 1965
R - Dearborn Mich Plant

8 - Convertible
The DASH on the next line show Sports Roof.  Is your convertible top noticeably different from a regular convertible?? Just a thought that they might have had 2 types of convertibles.

A - 289 4V

I've also heard that there in a additional VIN tag somewhere under the passenger side rear of the car on the frame, rear axle or other sheet metal.  Take a look under there and let me know what you find.  Thanks, William  

1bigwilbur
New User
Posted: 11/10/12 12:35 AM

I've heard that there is an additional tag under the passenger rear of the car... on the axle, frame or sheetmetal.  I have seen people look under there and verify that VINs either did or did not match the one on the inner fender since it was common to cut that one out and replace it with a more desirable VIN or a good VIN to conceal a stolen car.  I have never had the opportunity to verify that additional VIN but it would be nice to know if someone has one back there.  Might be worth a little time in the dit to find out.  Let me know what you find.

Good luck,
William  

1bigwilbur
New User
Posted: 11/10/12 12:46 AM

If you can get the alpha numeric info from your VIN tag (above the latch on drivers door, under the hood on driver or passenger side on fender) you can post it up here and I'm sure someone can look it up for you.  

123 Last