• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

what is the diffs btw 70 351w & 351c?

fixreprdaily
New User
Posted: 05/05/08 02:12 PM

I have a 70 grande w/351 engine code h. I looked up the code & it said *c/w. so a little help w/desciotion or pic's.
thanks  

soaring3
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/05/08 04:28 PM

The heads and the valves on the Cleveland are much bigger.  Here is a complete description of the difference.

The 351 Cleveland, on the other hand, belongs to Ford's 335 engine family. This thin-wall cast BIG SMALL BLOCK uses the smaller 14mm spark plugs, has a separate front cover (bolted to the block) housing the timing chain and routing water - so that water does not go through the intake manifold, features beefy main caps (wide enough to drill for 4-bolt mains), a poor oiling system, and uses different heads for 2V & 4V versions. The heads make all the difference and these fire breathing babies make this motor the legend it is. On the 4V, the valves are HUGE, measuring 2.19" intake and 1.7n" exhaust (don't remember exactly). Valves this large are only possible via a canted valve arrangement, forming what Ford refers to as a "poly-angle" combustion chamber. The valve covers are not straight - the front is flat and parallel to the ground, but a curve twists the rear parallel to the head. They are attached by 8-bolts and when removed, there is a 4 cast into the corner of the 4V and a 2 cast into the corner of the 2V (at least in 1970). The canted valves are the dead giveaway.

Summary of Quick ID
351 Windsor  351 Cleveland  
5-bolt straight valve covers  8 bolt 2-plane valve covers  
radiator hose to the intake manifold  radiator hose does not connect to intake  
regular 5/8" spark plugs  small 14mm spark plugs

I can't post links on here, but I read an article that stated the code H was indeed a Cleveland.  
soaring3

tommyE7
New User
Posted: 05/25/08 09:00 AM

Good Day Sir,
    I am a new member,I am from the Philippines. I read your reply about the 351W windsor engine. I'm impressed.I'm in the process of restoring my 69 mustang mach 1 351W automatic.I had the engine overhauled and restored it to its original stock parts.
    Am planning to replace my old 2 barrel carb.Is the Holley 80457S a good replacement? Will the original air cleaner fit?
    My timing chain cover has to be replaced too.Is was an aluminum with dipstick hole.I surfed different sites for a replacement but cant find the right one.Do you know   what the part # is and where to purchase one? Need your help. Thanks. Tommy Confused  

mechanicalguy48
Guru
Posted: 05/25/08 01:45 PM

Tommy
The Holley your looking at is a good street carb and fine for your 351W. I personally prefer the Edelbrock 1403 or 1404 because they are more tuneable and at 500 cfm is a better fit if your engine is close to stock.You can also get the Edelbrock in 600cfm.  I am not familiar with the stock air cleaner but most carbs use the same 5 1/8" air cleaner however clearance may be an issue as choke and linkage is not the same nor is height. The only thing to do is try. Your 351W uses the same front timing chain cover as 302/289 from 65-73. The later year uses a bolt on timing pointer. You can obtain it from Mustangs Plus.  

soaring3
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/26/08 10:12 PM

A better choice for a stock carburetor would be a Motorcraft 2100-2150  for a two barrel set-up and a Motorcraft 4100-4300  for a 4 barrel set-up.  There are slightly larger carbs in the same Motorcraft brands.  For instance, the 2100 comes in various venturi sizes such as 1.08, 1.21, 1.23 etc.  That just means the horn is slightly larger as the venturi size increases allowing more air to enter the firing chamber, therefore allowing more fuel, therefore more horsepower.  The Motorcraft carburetors are the most reliable carburetors on this earth.  You simply cannot find a more reliable, easy to dial in and long lasting carburetor for our Mustangs than a Motorcraft.
Now, as far as your engine....you have an H code Cleveland.  The majority of 351 Cleveland engines are H-code 2V (2-venturi carburetor) versions with low compression. They were produced from 1970 through 1974 and were used on a variety of Ford models, from ponycar to fullsize. So, whenever you go to order a timing chain cover, be sure to order one for a 1970 2V Cleveland.  
soaring3

mechanicalguy48
Guru
Posted: 05/26/08 11:09 PM

You are confusing the two seperate posts Soaring. The second post was a 351W. The cleveland has an integral timing chain cover with only a flat plate behind the water pump.
I concur that the 4100/4300 is a wonderful carb but they are hard to find nowadays and not cheap.  

soaring3
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/27/08 01:16 AM

Yeah, you are right.  I didn't see that Fixreprdaily and Tommy were not the same person.  My bad. I don't really like to work on the 4300, but the 4100 is a jewel. At any rate, both the Clevo and the W need a 2100 series carb for factory 2V set-up.  I just happen to have a few that I have overhauled.  
soaring3

keith1562
New User
Posted: 09/28/12 07:46 AM

Tommy, I've got a 1969 Cougar It has a 351w and a 1972 Mach 1 with a 351c Cobra Jet. The cougar has a factory cast iron intake & Holley 600 c.f.m. vacuum secondary carb. The Cougar is a very dependable car that performs well. The bottom end, despite having two bolt mains, is very strong and doesn't suffer from poor oiling. Being a 69 it has slightly bigger valves than other 351w's. On the other hand my 351c is an awesome powerplant. I recently had it rebuilt and I added flat-top pistons to replace the low comp. factory slugs. I also up-graded to a hotter cam. Finally it has an edelbrock performer intake and Carter 625 c.f.m. carb. The Cleveland is Much more powerful than the Windsor. One thing to keep in mind is that if I drive the Cougar and stay out of the secondaries as much as possible, it gets 20 to 24 m.p.g. The Mach 1 on the other hand gets 13 m.p.g. In part because the Mach 1 has a 373/1 trac loc rear end. While the cougar has an open 3.00/1 rear end.
Good luck, Keith