• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968 w code

www.427
New User
Posted: 07/12/08 08:17 AM

Hi all, i need help.
There are many different opinions regarding w codes and i know most people (including marti auto works) say they don't exist. Well i own one and i would really appreciate some help in tracking down it's history.
Does anyone out there know of any historians or enthusiasts that could help me? It's extremely difficult because it seems to be such a touchy subject and i just want to know more about my car!

Cheers,
Adrian  

Bill.Hamilton
User
Posted: 07/13/08 01:35 PM

Well by now you've heard all the "you're full of baloney" comments about your W-code (LOL).  And yes, Marti's "Mustang ... by the Numbers (1967-1973) does not list any 427 Mustangs.  Does your VIN have the W-code in it to designate a 427 vehicle?  I have a magazine that has a 427-4V 1968 Cougar road test and it's not very impressive for a 390 hp car but I've never seen a w-code Mustang.

Anything was possible 35 plus years ago with cars.  Dealers were know to replace blown engines with bigger and different motors at the owner's request.  

I remember finding a wrecked 1969 428 CJ Mach 1 in a wrecking yard (they weren't called salvage yards then) and taking much of the deluxe interior items plus the heavy duty suspension pieces and putting them on my 1970 302-2v Mustang back in the mid-70's.  Where ever that car is today, somebody is having a tough time trying to figure out what kind of Mustang they really have.  One of my cousins had a 1971 Mach 1 with 351-2V and we swapped out many parts off a wrecked '71 Boss 351 car. Back in the 60's and 70's many of us added parts at will with never a thought to originality. No one dreamed a 428 SCJ or Boss 429 smog pump would be worth thousands of dollars nearly 40 years later. Perhaps someone did that to your car? I saw a lot of faked and swapped out Muscle cars back then and I'm sure some survived to confuse today's enthusiasts big time (ha ha).

Have you contacted Marti with your VIN number?  Perhaps you have a factory mule that got away from the crusher?  There was the story about the 1971 Boss 302 car in Mustang Monthly recently, you never know.  Good luck in your search.  
Bill Hamilton
My 1970 Mach
Mustang owner and daily driver since 1970

2011 Shelby GT-500 (Daily Driver)

www.427
New User
Posted: 07/13/08 02:20 PM

Hi bill,
Yeah i've heard everything trying to track down this car's history. It does have the correct vin number and data tag with the "W" and it even has the side oiler under the hood.
I did call Marti Auto Works and they were absolutely positive that no "W" code existed and said they couldn't help me.
I don't really care what people might think about me during this process, i just want to get to the bottom of this mystery.
Adrian  

Bill.Hamilton
User
Posted: 07/13/08 03:27 PM

Try this below.  It's a contact at Ford:

https://secure.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/contact-us-email?contactMainTopic=VehicleServiceIssues

I got a very basic report back from Ford in about 6-weeks.  It's not as comprehensive as Marti's but it might give you something to work with and tell you whither you have a "good" VIN or not .  

Is your car a very early production model?  What is the VIN?  I have Jim Smart's volume II in search of Mustangs book and list many 67-73's by VIN.  It may or at least something close to it may be listed to get an idea of a production time frame. If you don't want to post the VIN on-line, you could PM it me and I'll look in the books I have.  
Bill Hamilton
My 1970 Mach
Mustang owner and daily driver since 1970

2011 Shelby GT-500 (Daily Driver)

www.427
New User
Posted: 07/13/08 04:20 PM

Thanks bill.

I've contacted ford and i'm waiting for a reply.

It would be great if you could check the numbers out if i don't have any luck with ford. From the research i've done it's a 68 plated car built in 67?  

d_ford
New User
Posted: 07/26/08 05:50 AM

Now THIS is interesting!
Adrian, you say that the VIN tag in the windshield, as well as the stamps in the inner fenders and the data plate all have a W engine code? The door tag could have been reproduced and the inner fenders could have been restamped but if the tag in the windshield looks original this could be an exciting find.
I heard rumors about a W code 68 years ago someplace in the Carolinas but I wasn't able to track it down. I know it was offered in the early printed materials as a 68 option but since no one has ever been able to verify that any were ever built they've been like the holy grail of mustangs.
Please keep us posted when you get your "999" report from Ford, they aren't always 100% correct but it may give you some useful information on this mystery.
Good luck and let us know!  
Doug
07 Shelby GT500
68 fastack 427 Tunnel Port
68 coupe
95 SVT Cobra
77 Cobra II drag car

www.427
New User
Posted: 03/28/09 07:37 AM

Hi guys,
I finally goy my 999 report back a few weeks ago after a very long wait and answering a lot of questions.They told me i would not get a report if the VIN returned invalid.
The report actually verifies the VIN with the "W" code however, the rest of the driveline detail in the report doesn't really match what you would expect for a W code eg C4 with a 2.79 open diff which is definately not what is in the car now. That didn't bother me too much because hey, mistakes can be made and who knows what can happen with data input and computer conversion.

So i ordered a delux Marti report (even though i knew that their data base did not recognise W code mustangs). Of coarse the VIN came back invalid so i reordered the report based on the year and consecutive unit number so that i could at least find out other stuff about the car. The report came back nearly identical to the 999 report except it said that it was a T code (six cyl) and had a slightly different diff.

The car is registered with the W code VIN and has been for about 20 years that i know of and has a W code 1968 sideoiler block with early big block shock tower reinforcements and matching VIN on the inner fender.

So who knows? All that really matters to me is that I have a really cool convertible mustang with a legendary motor in it that i love to drive and that's real enough for me!

Of coarse i'm curious and want to get to the bottom of it but i'm not sure how right now. Maybe one day someone will remember something about it. According to the Marti report it was sold new by Hoeffel and Goy in Chicago but it was purchased from a wrecking yard out memphis about 20 years ago.

I think it may have been raced at some time due to the skatter shield and detroit locker that were present when purchased from the wreckers and still present now.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Cheers,
Adrian  

Mil1ion
User
Posted: 03/28/09 09:53 AM

I know there was at least ONE W code in 67, because I drove that car 2 days after it left the dealership.
Back then at 17 I knew of a 427 but knew nothing of a W code.

67 Mustang 427 4 speed with gears in the mid 3's like 3.50:1 in Presidential Blue  
My Name is Dennis and I approve this message !

"So that is how you shine a skunk ? "

www.427
New User
Posted: 03/31/09 03:56 PM

That would have been late 67 i would guess? It is said that the 427 option was removed from the list in April 68 so a late 67 427 would be very possible.

Mine is also a 427, 4 speed with a 3.75 locker now, which is what it was 20 years ago, but who knows about 40 years ago. They say that the 427 option was only available with an auto but i don't see why if you could get other big blocks with a manual.

Anyways, I sure think you're lucky having driven one, i often wish i was around back then to have experienced that era of motor cars.

Cheers,
Adrian  

MrBlueOval
New User
Posted: 05/08/14 02:43 PM

I know this is a very old original post but I'm sorry that I just came across it.  I hope Adrian gets to read this or at least someone.  Hoeffel-Goy Ford was a Ford dealership at 9205 S. Western Ave. in Chicago during the 1950's and 1960's. My father worked there as a parts dept employee during that whole time when I was only a pre-teenage child.  I remember him coming home at lunchtime with a different new Ford everyday. He would throw a dealer demo license plate on one of the cars in the lot and take it home for a test drive. I clearly remember him bringing home many special Mustangs and Shelby's to show off to the neighbors and he might have very well brought yours home at one point, since your car originally came from that dealership.  I'm not sure. Unfortunately my father passed away in 1985 from esophageal cancer and that Ford dealer changed hands many times after 1972. Hoeffel and Bill Goy sold the dealer to Bill's son and Billy Goy jr. took it over calling it Goy Ford but ended up selling it a couple years later to someone else.  It was always a Ford dealer but under  a few more different names until 1986 when the owner moved into a new building down the street. It became a Hyundai dealer later that year. .  Though I remember that dealership like the back of my hand and could tell you of every hiding spot a pre-teen could find in that building, there's not much else I can actually help you with. I'm not an expert on 427 Mustangs or Shelbys but I did hear about one back in the 1990's for sale but again no one could prove it was an original 427 car or not   .I just had to mention this about the dealership when I saw mention of my late father's Ford dealer employer.  Kenny/MrBlueOval  

MrBlueOval
New User
Posted: 05/08/14 02:46 PM

I know this is a very old original post but I'm sorry that I just came across it.  I hope Adrian gets to read this or at least someone.  Hoeffel-Goy Ford was a Ford dealership at 9205 S. Western Ave. in Chicago during the 1950's and 1960's. My father worked there as a parts dept employee during that whole time when I was only a pre-teenage child.  I remember him coming home at lunchtime with a different new Ford everyday. He would throw a dealer demo license plate on one of the cars in the lot and take it home for a test drive. I clearly remember him bringing home many special Mustangs and Shelby's to show off to the neighbors and he might have very well brought yours home at one point, since your car originally came from that dealership.  I'm not sure. Unfortunately my father passed away in 1985 from esophageal cancer and that Ford dealer changed hands many times after 1972. Hoeffel and Bill Goy sold the dealer to Bill's son and Billy Goy jr. took it over calling it Goy Ford but ended up selling it a couple years later to someone else.  It was always a Ford dealer but under  a few more different names until 1986 when the owner moved into a new building down the street. It became a Hyundai dealer later that year. .  Though I remember that dealership like the back of my hand and could tell you of every hiding spot a pre-teen could find in that building, there's not much else I can actually help you with. I'm not an expert on 427 Mustangs or Shelbys but I did hear about one back in the 1990's for sale but again no one could prove it was an original 427 car or not   .I just had to mention this about the dealership when I saw mention of my late father's Ford dealer employer.  Kenny/MrBlueOval