Ad Radar
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968 Mustang motor mount replacement

jimfriedner
New User
Posted: 09/10/08 02:43 PM

1968 coupe, 289.

Any advice to make it easier to change out both motor mounts?, left one is definately broken as the engine came up and bit my top radiator hose.  I have two new mounts that arrived yesterday.  

mechanicalguy48
Guru
Posted: 09/10/08 09:46 PM

Not uncommon but potentially dangerous. It happened on my friends 67 and the throttle stuck open from the movement. It can be hard to get one in place and bolted up. We wound up bolting to the engine first and then had to force the engine down with a big pry bar to fit the long bolt that goes thru the frame. You would think it would drop , but for some reason it wouldnt. I think the other mount or trans mount bent slightly when the left mount broke so you have to force it back in place. You may or may not have that problem. But the mount can be put in place from under the vehicle at any rate,,, you will need a long extension and some muscle to get it in place.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 09/11/08 12:40 PM

I agree with MG48, R&R of mounts can be a real PITA depending on the car. I've done it several ways, (none clean-BTW)Another method you can try is a one at a time approach and bolt the mount to the frame first and then lightly lowering the engine down to pick up the engine side.  

jimfriedner
New User
Posted: 09/11/08 01:15 PM

Much easier than I expected.  1 hour and 45 minutes later I was done.  Used a floor jack with a short piece of 2 x 4 under the front of the oil pan, slight pressure up.  Unbolted long bolt, unbolted engine bolts.  Jacked up engine enough to remove the motor mount, placed new motor mount in position with engine bolts slightly in, let down motor until long bolt hole was lined up, long bolt in.  Tightened everything up, did other side the same way. Like butter.  I guess I was lucky or good, I will take either one.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 09/12/08 12:09 PM

It's always nice when it goes right! Not to mention you now have a new skill congrats Grin JLG  

jimfriedner
New User
Posted: 09/12/08 12:57 PM

Thanks JLG,

I am kinda new to the site.

Jim  

mustanggirl68
New User
Posted: 01/31/09 06:15 PM

I had the same problem with our 68 302 v8.  I have changed out the motor mounts and the transmission mounts and the car is still sticking in overdrive when you get out of 2nd gear.  Cannot figure out why.  Hope that I don't have to replace the transmission now after all this.  Cannot figure out why the car wants to accelerate out of gear now since the mounts are now holding it down. Any suggestions?  

mechanicalguy48
Guru
Posted: 01/31/09 08:18 PM

I am not sure what your issue is Mustang girl because you have described two different things. (the car sticks in overdrive) and (the car wants to accelerate). Their is no overdrive in a stock 68, did you mean third gear, or do you mean it stays in 2nd gear ?? If the throttle is sticking, have it checked, it may have been bent when the mounts allowed the engine to rise. Maybe if you describe the problem in another way we can help more.