• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Straightening The Rear Valance

65-Fstbk
New User
Posted: 01/03/09 12:23 PM

Can anyone offer tips for straightening the rear valance on a 65 Fastback that has been lightly "kissed" in the rear end. The rear has been pushed in VERY slightly and none of the exterior metal is actually damaged. In fact it's almost not noticeable but it does need to be pulled back out a little. I'm a home DIY and was thinking of a removing the gas tank and using a bottle jack. Anyone have any secrets?

Thanks for your help.

Chris  

lethal67
User
Posted: 01/03/09 06:19 PM

what about unbolting it, and working it flat with a dolly and body hammer, or if its not creased, you could try one of theose paintless dent removers  

mr_duck1
New User
Posted: 01/03/09 10:07 PM

Are you talkin' about the panel above or below the bumper? The lower one will unbolt and can be massaged back into shape. The panel with your taillights doesn't come off. I don't think I would take the gas tank out then start bending things back, might find the tank doesn't line up so well anymore!!! I would remove the filler neck then try that.

My cheap advice Smirk  

65-Fstbk
New User
Posted: 01/04/09 12:46 PM

Thanks guys.

It's the panel above the bumper. The bracket at the base of the trunk is bent in a little and will need to be pushed back out. As it sits right now the valance between the rear taillights is slightly concave.

I think I'll try to remove the filler neck and do it that way first.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Chris  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/05/09 02:27 PM

Chris, that's called the tail-light panel and directly attached to it are the tailight panel bracket (the one that holds the trunk latch) and the rear floor crossmember(which is now bent due to the damage to the taillight panel). the front of the gas tank steel is not too strong so i don't recommend that you jack against it.  

coteth02
New User
Posted: 03/10/09 10:08 AM

I'm working on a 66 FB with the same problem. I checked the bumper and that was bowed in too with no damage. Are the tail light panel and bumper supposed to have a slight curve to it? Could someone put a string along the bumper edge and let me know? The top edge of the panel where the trunk lid latches is straight.
Thanks  

Mil1ion
User
Posted: 03/10/09 02:28 PM

The Valance is BELOW the bumper

Rear body panel is above the bumper

I did mine with a 3 lb ball peen hammer and a custom cut (rounded end) piece of hardwood to hammer on.

Worked like a charm.  
My Name is Dennis and I approve this message !

"So that is how you shine a skunk ? "