• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

creaking, squeaking front suspension

mustang66v8fb
New User
Posted: 04/01/09 12:33 PM

My '66 sat around too long without exercise (like me), and now that she is driveable again, her joints creak and squeak.   Anyone had luck reducing (bushing?) squeaking by applying lubricant (or a mouse milk)? Thanks  
1966 calif 2+2

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 04/01/09 01:04 PM

You need to use "moly" based lube grease in the creaking joints and all place that have zerks. If your ball joints are no greasable, time to replace them. If you UCA's don't have fittings, you're going to need to put some in. A good white lithium grease to the bushings, springs that don't have fittings will help also. Silicone spray to chrome rods like the shocks will help also.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/01/09 03:25 PM

The front coil spring perch bushings are squeakers too. Try to get to them with silicone.  

mustang66v8fb
New User
Posted: 04/14/09 05:57 PM

Re your response:  My car has no zerks. Do you think that the rubber bushings in the upper shock mounts could be dried out and squeaking?  I tried WD40 there but didn't work.  Is there some other spray lube that might work? The shocks dampen OK.
Thanx for your help.  
1966 calif 2+2

mustang66v8fb
New User
Posted: 04/14/09 06:02 PM

Thanx for your response. Is there a silcone spray that I might be able to somehow feed into the spring mount without major disassembly? Any ideas?  
1966 calif 2+2

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/15/09 10:11 AM

Icon Quotemustang66v8fb:
Re your response:  My car has no zerks. Do you think that the rubber bushings in the upper shock mounts could be dried out and squeaking?  I tried WD40 there but didn't work.  Is there some other spray lube that might work? The shocks dampen OK.
Thanx for your help.

WD 40 is not a lasting lube but is thin enough to be drawn into an area to silence a squeak and let you know where it is. The upper shock mount I don't think is what's queaking. The spring perch that the coil sits on has a bushing that is notorious for squeaking account of the rubber being squished and leaving metal to metal rubbing. If it's the guilty party, the WD 40 will quiet it long enough to let you know that it needs changing. The upper A frame bushings also squeak and pop but WD 40 may not be able to do much for that. I installed very short 90deg zerks years ago that let me grease mine but sometimes them are stubborn and don't want to take grease. Annoying isn't it?  

FlyFord
New User
Posted: 04/16/09 09:58 AM

Check out this suspension article, Cut & Paste the link....
http://www.fly-ford.com/MM0507-How_To_Install_a_Blueprinted_Suspension.html  

mustang66v8fb
New User
Posted: 04/16/09 06:03 PM

Thanx for the info re the clue that spring perch maybe the noise source.  To check that out, would it be a good idea to take the comression load off the springs by jacking up the chassis and feed the perch areas with WD40 as best I can.  Am I on the right track?  
1966 calif 2+2

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/17/09 10:33 AM

Yes, and it may be possible to use a pry bar to try to rock the spring perch, making it move at the bushing to aid the lube movement. With the car jacked up, the perch should be somewhat tilted down toward you. Try to insert a bar between the upper control arm and the spring perch and pry up and release repeatedly. This should accelerate lube migration. Good luck.  

Belmont1966
New User
Posted: 04/27/09 08:41 PM

Pretty much what you have been told is correct.

The two notorious squeak spots in a '66 front end in my experience are 1) the coil spring perch bushing and the sway bar bushings. Spray both these areas with WD-40. Use the red straw on the spray can when spraying. Put the end of the straw right up against the gap of each of these bushings and spray. Do it around each bushing a number of times. Then joince the front end up and down a few times and do it again. The squeak should be gone, or it's a good bet that it will be gone. If it's gone, then you know it's these 2 areas.

But others are right, WD-40 is good at getting in there, but it doesn't last long. What I mean is that it's not a permanent fix. You might go months in dry weather without squeaks with just WD-40.

As for my car, I put teflon tape around the sway bar where it passes thru the bushing and then put white lithium grease over that before putting it back together. I then replaced the spring perches with the roller-bearing perches ($200/pair). This took care of my squeaks. Note: my control arms and ball joints are also less than 5 years old and are greased as needed.

Does that help?  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/28/09 12:55 PM

roller-bearing perches ($200/pair).

Those babies will last 4 lifetimes. Grin