• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Problem with battery, oil and temp gauges. 2005 Mustang, V6.

MFLPI
New User
Posted: 04/10/09 01:33 AM

Battery and oil gauges stuck at right of normal.  Needles haven't moved for about a week.  Temp gauge needle first moved right of normal and is now inverted.  Also for about a week.  2005 Mustang, V6.  HELP!  

mlc1
New User
Posted: 10/03/09 12:13 PM

I DON;T HAVE A SOLUTION, BUT THE PROBLEM SOUNDS FAMILIAR.  MY TEMP GAUGE NEEDLE HAS BEEN BURIED WAY TO THE RIGHT OF HOT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.  NOW THE FUEL GAUGE IS OCCASIONALLY DOING THE SAME THING. THAT IS HOW THE PROBLEM WITH THE TEMP GAUGE BEGAN--WITH INTERMITTENT MISREADINGS THAT EVENTUALLY BECAME PERMANENT.

I TALKED THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP.  THEIR SOLUTION WOULD INVOLVE REPLACEMENT OF THE ENTIRE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.  THIS WOULD INCLUDE THE ODOMETER AND THE PAPERWORK OF MILEAGE VERIFICATION.  THEY SAID IT WOULD TOTAL AROUND $800.  THAT SEEMS PRETTY PRICEY FOR REPLACEMENT OF TWO SMALL GAUGES.

UNLESS FORD HAS BOUGHT A LOT OF CRAPPY GAUGES (NOT OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY, I KNOW), I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDER IF THERE ISN'T SOME SORT OF WIRING SHORT CAUSING THIS.  

kmank
New User
Posted: 08/31/10 08:44 AM

2005 GT here with same problems, first the temp gauge would get stuck all the way in red zone most notably would happen in cold weather.......drive for a while (sometimes it would stay stuck for hours) stop and start the car a few times and it would drop back to normal. Now the oil gauge is pinned all the way in high zone. F'ed up man  

2005MustangLesley
New User
Posted: 05/30/13 10:43 AM

2005 Mustang instrument problems are happening to many!!! Ford Motor Company gives you the polite no help answer that you are out of warentee.  I opend a safety complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board at, nhtsa.dot.gov.  I also spoke with them live, their response is "no recall exist, your the first person to contact us"  So, Mustang users who are having these problems (temp. gauge reads hot when not, speedometer does not work or says your traveling at 120 mph when your stopped, etc).  All of these people who have complained have gotten no where. So I say put it out in the social media, let people know what kinda of no service FORD MOTOR COMPANY gives you.  Lastly contact the better business bureau.  Shame on the National Traffic Safety Administration, Shame on FORD, Shame on the dealership in Auburn, CA.  DO not patrionize Auburn Ford, Mercury, Lincohn.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/30/13 06:12 PM

i have a test... takes just a few minutes to run with a digital volt meter.. it has solved many issues on hundreds of cars for me..

print this..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voltagedroptesting

~~~~~~~~~  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/30/13 06:56 PM

see if you can find the green squares in this image...

that is the location of 4 of the ground connections at the front of the mustangs and other fords..

each ground connection is for a different component or a different set of components.. they all have to be clean... tight and not frayed...  why ... electrons flow from negative to positive..  if you don't have good grounds.. you won't have enough electrical current to properly operate the circuit.. so things will go crazy..

1992Mustang50batterycablegrounds

this is from a 2001 ranger pickup... note the green stud where the engine to firewall ground goes.. notice to the right side of the picture.. where the ground was improperly attached to the wiper motor stud.. over the rubber insulator..

if this engine block to the firewall ground is missing.. you MAY have gauge issues.. as described above... as the ground is HALF the circuit...

2001Rangerfirewallgroundstrap