• Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Speedometer erratic. 2005 Mustang, V6.

MFLPI
New User
Posted: 04/10/09 03:10 AM

Speedometer jumps to anywhere between 20 to 80 mph and remains at 20 to 80 as if at 0 when driving.  Lasts a few days then back to 0 then repeats.  Starting and shuting down a few times when parked also returns needle to 0.  2005 Mustang, V6, Auto.  HELP!  

sfcwoodret
New User
Posted: 04/12/09 06:28 PM

Need a new speedo cable.  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 04/14/09 12:43 PM

Most new cars use an electronic speed sensor to provide the source used for the speedometer display. You need to get a manual or most probably take it to a qualified repiar shop.
jlg  

schislerrt
New User
Posted: 04/17/09 02:36 AM

I have the same problem with my 2005 V6. One thing I have noticed is it seems to be more prevalent when it is below 40F degrees outside. But when I drove to work today it was in 50's and it was erratic again. I do know that 2000 rpm is around 60 mph in top gear, so that keeps me out of trouble.  

jodievesely
New User
Posted: 04/17/09 09:08 AM

I have the same problem with my 2005 Mustang, V6. It usually doesn't respond at all if there has been rain recently. Also, it responds poorly when it is cold outside. On clear warm days, it sometimes works. It jumps around all the time. Even if I am stopped, the speedomoter will read I am going 20, 30, or 80 (wherever it seemed to get stuck). What is recommended for this? I brought it to a dealership, and they said I needed a new instrument cluster which they quoted $600 for. This seems like a rip off for such a minor issue. Is this a rip off? Should I go somewhere else? Do I just need to replace the speedometer cable?

Thanks,
Jodie  

schislerrt
New User
Posted: 04/27/09 11:33 PM

That does in fact seem like a ripoff. I am going to replace the speedsensor in the transmission if I can find a new one. I have bombed at NAPA and Autovalue. They said they were available but when ordered said otherwise. Rock auto lists one so I'll try them. I'll let you know what happens after I get the new one in there.  

schislerrt
New User
Posted: 04/28/09 12:04 AM

I just ordered from Rockauto. Hopefully this will help us all.  

Cowboy95961
New User
Posted: 10/07/09 12:05 PM

I also have the same problem and I called the dealership they gave me a number to call 1-800-392-3673 and if they get eought people to call it could be a recall.  If you didn't know there is a recall on the airbags.  

ciacia
New User
Posted: 10/12/09 07:16 PM

I have the same problem -- it just happened 2 days ago on my 05 Mustang V6. I had traveled 200 miles, got off the interstate and going through town, it just didn't work anymore -- said I was going 70 mph while sitting still. The temp was under 40 degrees and has been ever since, but for awhile yesterday it worked after I filled my gas tank. ??? Today, the needle moves, but it is not accurate. Tonight, I contacted ford.com and left a comment that there obviously needs to be a recall and questioned the airbags recall as I typed in my VIN and it said there were no recalls. Contact http://www.ford.com/footer/contact-ford/ and let's all ask them to fix it at their expense.  

ciacia
New User
Posted: 10/12/09 07:17 PM

Oh, also as Cowboy95961 said, call the 800 number as well -- I did, and that is where I got the Web site information to contact www.customersaskford.com.  

drcheweychewey
New User
Posted: 11/25/09 02:41 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2005 mustang. it only has about 40k on it–the speedometer is not working properly and i am having a similar issue with the gas gauge. we need to demand a recall on this, there are way too many posts describing the exact same problem, and i don't think i should have to pay to replace this on a car with only 40k miles!  

Spicygurl
New User
Posted: 11/30/09 03:15 PM

I bought my 2005 Mustang new and it is doing the same thing, except it stays at 120 and drops to 80 as the car warms up.  My car is a 5-speed and it has always revved up to 2000 when idle and fluctuates at red lights.  Ford cannot seem to figure the problem, but I am sure there is a shortage somewhere....  

ptaylor
New User
Posted: 11/30/09 07:55 PM

I have the same problem with my 2005 Mustang. Sometimes the cold turns off my gauge for the oil pressure and the water temp also. I sent a e-mail to Ford and they said go to your dealer. I wrote them back and let them know if Ford does not care about the products that they sell then I will look for a company in  the future that does care about their products. I will see if I get a reply back.  

experiencex70
New User
Posted: 12/31/09 02:35 PM

I also have a 2005 v6 Mustang, just here today in Orlando 70 degrees I went to the store and came back home noticed my speedometer stuck at 60mph turned the key off and still stuck, when I start the engine again you can see the needle move a little down pass 60 but comes back to 60 again. My car miles reached over 60,820 so there is definite problem here.  

windveil
New User
Posted: 01/15/10 01:58 PM

All the gages on my 2005 V6 are failing.  First, I had problems with the fuel gauge, which I figured was bad gas (sulfur?) A fuel system cleaner seemed to fix that one.  Then it was the temp.  First it read HOT, now it's stuck on cold.  Then the tach and speed got sticky.  Anyway, I was told by mechanic buddy the many Fords and most Chevy's have gauge problems, and the culprit is the gauge 'motor'.  He said to take the car to a speedometer shop here in FT. Lauderdale.  They seemed very familiar with the problem, and quoted me around $300 to replace all the gauge motors on the instrument cluster.  The entire cluster did not have to be replaced.
I have not had the work done yet as money is tight just now.  

123 Last