• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Speedometer erratic. 2005 Mustang, V6.

V8Turbo
New User
Posted: 10/25/10 12:35 PM

This is pretty common on the 2005 Mustangs, it's caused by failing stepper motors in the instrument cluster, they control the movement of the gauges.  There's a guide on how to fix them here - 2005 Mustang speedometer problem  

justinstang.05
New User
Posted: 11/11/10 06:52 AM

Having the same problem with my 05 mustang. Check DR. Speedometer web site he said it’s the small motors that work the gauges. He will put new motors in all of the gauges and give a 12year warranty for 189.00 (includes shipping both ways)Instrument cluster was very easy to remove 5 min (4 screws) He will email you instructions on removing the instrument cluster. Shipped mine to him this week will repost with the results. This is a lot better price than the dealerships 650.00

Got my instrument cluster back from DR. Speedometer all my gauges are working great!!! Grin 189 dollars is better than 650.00!!!Thanks Fred (Dr speedometer)  

8251_Mustang
New User
Posted: 12/10/10 04:21 PM

I have the same problem on my 2005 Ford Mustang.  I live in Hawaii, so it's not cold weather related.  It started out that the speedometer would not decrease when I would decerlerate, and eventually was reading well over 120 MPH while actually going 25 MPH.  Now no matter what, it still reads above 100 MPH.  I'm having it looked at on Monday, but I also contacted Ford about it.  Not impressed that so many people have had this problem and it isn't a recall yet.  

kbazzle
New User
Posted: 12/22/10 08:19 PM

We also have a 2005 v6 mustang and are having a problem with the speedometer and gas gauge. Was told need to replace the instrument cluster at a cost of $637. Ford should have a recall on this as there are way too cars having the same issue with this. We must all call and complain and continue to have our voices heard.  

justinstang.05
New User
Posted: 01/04/11 05:06 PM

1 1/2 months later---all gauges still working GREAT!!!! If you want to save alot of money let DR. Speedometer fix your instrument cluster --- it was very easy to remove
& re-install  

stellarstang05
New User
Posted: 02/14/11 11:32 AM

My situation has been slightly different but is most likely related to this thread.  I bought my 2005 V6 auto Mustang in the fall of 2006.  It had about 24K miles at the time.  In the winter of 2008, my gas gauge started acting up.  Sometimes it would read over a full tank, sometimes empty.  About a month after that issue began, it stuck at empty and has read that ever since.  I was out of work from about that time until this past year so couldn't afford to get it fixed.  Instead I learned to live with it.

All that changed about two months ago.  My dad took the car in to have the transmission flushed and supposedly the dealership pointed out that my temp and speedo gauges were not functioning properly.  The funny thing about that is I had never noticed any issue with them until after I got the car back from the dealership.  They gave my dad and estimate of $800 to replace the instrument cluster, which seemed way excessive to me.

Almost immediately, I started having issues:  the temp gauge would either top out at hot (even when the car had just been started after sitting in the cold Michigan weather all night) or it would read cold (even after driving for a while.)  Now it just stays at cold about 90% of the time.  

The speedo works intermittently.  Sometimes it seems to function properly, only to go out while I'm on the expressway.  I haven't had it jump up to 120mph.  Instead it will either read 15 to 20mph less than I'm actually doing, or it will dip below zero.

And on top of all that, today I noticed the my RPM gauge seems to be sticking as well.  Along with that, I've noticed the gears seem to be sticking a bit between 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd.  The RPMs will rev up above 3K but the car won't speed up right away.  

I refuse to pay a dealership to fix this, but I'm a chick who doesn't know enough about cars to do the work herself.  Anybody know a reputable place in southeast Michigan that might be able to help me?  Thank you all for posting, good to know I'm not alone in this nightmare!  

JODonnellJ
New User
Posted: 03/21/11 04:18 PM

My speedometer stays on Zero most of the time than goes up to about 15 miles less than my actual speed.  Now my oil gauge works sometimes and now I noticed that my temp gauge isn't working right.  I read all your complaints and decided to contact ford also to demand the recall. 800-392-FORD (3673).  I have a 2005 V6 Mustang.  Everyong needs to call.  

marcizzi
New User
Posted: 03/22/11 08:19 AM

This seems to be a prevalent problem. I too called the Ford Motor Company customer service hotline and filed a comlaint. I found that we all need to go one step furhter and file a complaint to the NHTSA. Website is www.nhtsa.gov. All of these cases add up and build a case for recall. I called my dealer as well, they are aware of the problem. I also went to www.fordmotorcompany.com. There I located the e-mail address from the contact link. I filed notice there with all of my information as well. I want as many people aware of this problem with the instrument cluster as well because this is clearly not an isolated incident. So let's get busy and make an impact for assistance and recall.  

marcizzi
New User
Posted: 03/22/11 08:19 AM

This seems to be a prevalent problem. I too called the Ford Motor Company customer service hotline and filed a comlaint. I found that we all need to go one step furhter and file a complaint to the NHTSA. Website is www.nhtsa.gov. All of these cases add up and build a case for recall. I called my dealer as well, they are aware of the problem. I also went to www.fordmotorcompany.com. There I located the e-mail address from the contact link. I filed notice there with all of my information as well. I want as many people aware of this problem with the instrument cluster as well because this is clearly not an isolated incident. So let's get busy and make an impact for assistance and recall.  

JODonnellJ
New User
Posted: 03/22/11 07:30 PM

Here's the BS answer I received from ford.  Looks like the request for a recall must be done by the The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and
is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Dear James,

Hi!  My name is Jamie from Ford's Customer Relationship Center.  I had the
opportunity to read your email regarding your concern with the instrument
cluster of your 2005 Ford Mustang.  

I am deeply sorry about the circumstances that have prompted you to write to us.  
Ford Motor Company is concerned with the satisfaction of all Ford and
Lincoln-Mercury customers.  Your feedback is highly valued by all divisions
within Ford Motor Company and serves to provide us with insight into areas where
we may need improvement.

We have reviewed the situation, and unfortunately, there are no warranties,
Field Service Actions (recalls) / Customer Satisfaction Programs on your vehicle
that would provide assistance for your vehicle repair.  However, we do suggest
that the repair be done by a Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealership where the
technicians are trained to put your vehicle back into factory specifications,
and any parts replaced will come with a 12 months/12,000 miles warranty,
whichever comes first.  Please be advised that a diagnostic fee may be charged.  
To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury Dealership, please visit www.fordowner.com.

Ford Motor Company makes every effort to maintain a high standard of quality
control in our manufacturing processes.  However, despite these efforts, every
now and then unintended malfunctions or mechanical issues may surface.  Recalls
are issued on items that may cause safety or emissions concerns with vehicles.

Many factors are used to determine when a recall is necessary.  Some of these
include warranty, vehicle history, customer contacts, dealer input.  These
factors help determine when a vehicle recall is necessary.  This is to ensure
that our customers have the best possible vehicle ownership experience in light
of some concerns, and/or defects that may be related to vehicles manufactured at
the same plant or with the same components during specific time frames.  No
vehicle manufacturer is exempt from the possibility of vehicle recalls.

Please keep in mind that The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and
is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

To provide product related feedback, please follow these steps:
1. Visit www.fordmotorcompany.com.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the "Contact Ford" link.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate brand under the
"Email" section.  The link directs you to the appropriate feedback page.
4. Complete the form and select the "Submit" button.

To provide product feedback over the phone, you may contact the Ford Customer
Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

We apologize that we have not given you an answer that you are satisfied with
and if we have not met your expectations.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us.  We
are more than happy to address them for you.

Thank you for contacting Ford!

Sincerely,
Jamie
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company  

JODonnellJ
New User
Posted: 03/22/11 07:52 PM

It wasn't difficult to file a safety complaint.  If your having this problem please file a complaint with The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
(NHTSA) - www.nhtsa.gov

Thanks - It only took 5 minutes. Copy and paste this address in your browser.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm  

kavisic
New User
Posted: 07/10/11 01:36 PM

I know your replaced the speed sensor quite a while ago, but did it fix your problem?  Or is it a problem with the cluster itself?  

kavisic
New User
Posted: 07/10/11 01:41 PM

We are just begining to have a speedometer problem with our 65 V6 convertible.  It only has 27,000 miles on it.  Sometimes it works OK, other time it stays below 0.  The other guage seem OK so far. Did anyone ever get Ford to admit there is a problem?  Are they willing to fix it free?  My dealer claims they are not aware of any consistent guage problem with 65 Mustangs.  Am I still getting the "run a round"? Confused  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 07/10/11 10:53 PM

a few things from the side...

#1...    pick up a scan tool...  one that reads live data...  plug it in.. look for codes...  write them down.. paste them here and google the code numbers..    P0000 codes..  C0000 codes.. B0000 codes..    the harbor freight 98614 will do amazing things.. but its mostly for engine control ...  but it will show you the live data stream and check for most codes..   and its about 1/3 the price of the next model up from a different manufacturer..

now.. with the scan tool hooked up.. set it to display live data...

see if the data stream from the PCM is accurate...   the scan tool talks directly with the PCM...    drive the car.. see if the vehicle speed sensor is putting out the proper signal...

you might also want to reset the scan tool to look at transmission data stream..  see if that signal is also correct..

there are also engine coolant temp signals.. and dozens more..

i would also like to know.. if you have a factory installed stereo system.. or if you have installed something between the radio and the harness like an Ipod adaptor...   there have been jeep grand cherokees.. that everything inside the car eventually quit working  when the ipod adaptor was removed.. instantly .. everything came back to life...  i am talking power windows.. gauges.. electric door locks.. key fobs...   there is in most new cars.. several sections to the wiring harness..      called the CAN.. controller area network..   the PCM controls everything..   if one thing is broken it can wipe out the signals flowing around the car and cause havoc ...  

kavisic
New User
Posted: 07/11/11 10:59 AM

No, nothing installed that didn't come with the car.  It is now at the dealer and I told them about the many complaints and thought it might be the "stepper motors" on the guage cluster.  Hte serive writer "rolled" his eyes.  I haven't heard back yet.  Will let everyone know as soon as I hear.