• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

One Wre alternator hookup

rgahring
New User
Posted: 07/12/09 08:41 AM

I am trying to convert over from a stock alternator in my 67 mustang to a Summit brand one wire alternator. I installed the one wire and a 10 gauge wire from the back of the alternator to the positive side of the solenoid and even tried to the positive battery terminal. Each time I try to make the connection to the positive side of the battery I get a shower of sparks when I make the final connection. I have a ground strap from the engine to the firewall and the battery is grounded properly. I have had to put the stock one back on for now. Any ideas?  

jkbessent
New User
Posted: 07/12/09 12:17 PM

I just completed the same swap with my 70 using the summit alt but my ground is a little different I have the the negative cable grounded to my block and have not had any issues  

rgahring
New User
Posted: 07/12/09 05:17 PM

I have the negative battery cable grounded to the body of the car near the shock tower. I would not think where I grounded the neg battery cable would create a problem. In the current setup with the original 3 wire on the stock alternator I have that negative grouned to the block.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 07/12/09 11:38 PM

Are you sure you are attaching the hot wire to the correct insulated output terminal on the back of the alternater? If so, it sounds like the alt has an internal short.  

rgahring
New User
Posted: 07/15/09 09:19 PM

Actually after talking to Summit about the problem and doing some experimenting on my own I figured out the nut on the back of the alternator that the one wire was attached to was touching the engine block and shorting itself out. Problem solved. Thanks for the replies, it pointed me in the right direction.