Ad Radar
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

67 Fuel Gauge Problems?

TomStewart
New User
Posted: 09/17/09 08:36 AM

Hey folks!

Thanks so much for all the help so far. Me and my '67 have benefited greatly from all the help and enthusiasm found here on the forum.

Well, my fuel gauge has decided to stop working, or at least working well. It will register a quarter tank (slowly), but nothing above that. The sender was replaced last year, the gauge is original. Sender problems? Gauge need to be yanked?

Tom.  

Jbirch
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/17/09 12:28 PM

Remove the electrical wire that attaches to the sending unit from the gas guage under the gas tank and ground it to the frame in a clean contact point with the ignition switch turned on and see what your guage reads. It should read empty with the ignition switch off and full when the wire is grounded with the ignition switch on. If so, the guage has a full range of motion and is probably OK and the sender needs to be checked. If you remove the sender and ground it again and move the float up and down the guage should follow. If not, then the sender is most likely the problem. Make sure your float doesn't have a pinhole leak that allows it to fill with fuel and sink to give you a bad reading. It happens.
If you need a new guage NPD sells new repros.  

TomStewart
New User
Posted: 09/21/09 01:20 PM

Did the first part, removing the sender wire and grounding, proving the gauge is probably ok. Now, how do you manipulate the float uip and down?

Thanks!

Tom.