• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

starting problem

jwl1969
New User
Posted: 01/14/10 04:16 PM

Hi Everyone
looking for some help.
I tried starting my 1969 mustang with 351 W today.Never had any problem before with starting. I started it up 3 weeks ago and ran her for 45 minutes with no problems at all.Today before starting i pulled the wire from the coil and turned the ignition for five seconds to prelube the engine before starting then reconnected it. I had the negative cut off on the battery off for the whole three weeks so the battery would not drain. It would not fire but was turning over, i tried jump starting the battery and it would not fire, i disconnected the wire from the distributer to the coil and put a screw driver to the wire and there was a good spark. I disconnected one of the plugs to the spark plug and had a spark. The engine was completly rebuilt three years ago and everything is new. I may have flooded it while trying to start it. I have never tried disconnecting the coil before stating before i wonder if the plugs got oil on the and am getting no spark?
The battery seems good the lights are nice and bright and windshield wipers are very strong.
i am going to let it sit for a day then try starting it up again.
I would realy like some of your thoughts on what may be my issue here?
thanks  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/15/10 02:05 PM

Good chance you may have flooded it. Letting it set a day will help. You can also remove the air cleaner lid and mechanically hold open the choke butterfly and depress the throttle wide open then crank it. This will allow the most air into the manifold & cyls and is the method used to start a flooded engine on a carburated car. If still flodded you're going to have to pull plugs and dry them out (not fun). jlg  

jwl1969
New User
Posted: 01/15/10 03:27 PM

Hi
I pulled the oil dipstick out to check the oil level and smelled gas on the dipstick and not alot of oil.
i changed the oil just before i put it away a couple of months ago
What do you think?  

jwl1969
New User
Posted: 01/15/10 03:27 PM

Hi
I pulled the oil dipstick out to check the oil level and smelled gas on the dipstick and not alot of oil.
i changed the oil just before i put it away a couple of months ago
What do you think?  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 01/19/10 04:32 PM

Sorry for the delay but I'm traveling at the moment.  You are going to smell a little bit of gas in the oil just by normal combustion processes. If you're concerned about the smell, change it! it's only 10-15 bucks for piece of mind.jlg  

jwl1969
New User
Posted: 01/20/10 12:19 PM

Hi jlg
I changed the oil and filter. I also got it started.
I have purchased some new plugs and a battery booster so the next time i start her after sitting for three weeks in the winter i will not flood her again.
thanks