• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuse Panel

jrw69
New User
Posted: 03/20/10 08:19 PM

New to the restoration part of having a mustang though this is my 3d one. I have a 1969 mach 1 and am   shooting some minor electrical problems. Want to know if there is a better type fuse other than the glass (buss type) that is in the fuse panel up under the dash. Some fuses are loose and others are frozen in there and break when I take them out. The fuse panel contacts are rusty. Some of the fuses are rusted in pretty solid. Should I try and replace the panel or just clean it up  with wd-40 and try to replace the fuses? I haven't found a good fuse puller to get them out easily without breaking some of them.

Thanks
jrw69  

Killer19652plus2
New User
Posted: 03/30/10 09:17 AM

If you use WD-40 to loosen the fuses, make sure you get a di-electric paste or jelly to coat the contacts with- or they will corrode back up even worse than when you started. Make sure to spread the contacts open so the glass fuses snap in gently, roll a little but do not wiggle. I always recomend keeping your car as original as is practical, as long as you aren't going all out with electronic mods, the OEM buss is fine.

DCs.Killer 2+2  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 03/30/10 08:43 PM

i would worry about using silicone dielectric grease on fuses... its not designed for it...

squeezing the contacts back together will tighten the grip...  unless they are really corroded...

i have gotten a wire brush from the plumbing supply for cleaning 1/4" copper tubing prior to soldering..

this is the correct size for the fuse holder.. i bend it 90 degrees so i can get it in and slide it back and forth..

there are ways after you remove the fuse box and wiring harness to remove most of the fuse holder contacts.. so they can be replaced.. this is not usually done...  when fuse boxes get that corroded.. the wiring harness and fuse box get replaced..

glass fuses break when even fuse pullers are used...  what's important..  when you install replacements.. you use the right fuse... and you install it with the fuse element inside the tube flat.. so it is visible..  if you install it so you are looking at the edge.. it makes it hard to tell if the fuse is blown... without using a test light..

one test...   if you activate the circuit...  you can take your digital volt meter.. set it to 20 volts DC...   touch the leads to the fuse clips...   if you get a reading..  more than 0.005 volts DC...  you have too much resistance in the fuse holders to fuse....

this test can only be done with power going through the circuit and the normal load on the circuit..    without the normal load.. this cannot be done...  one would think an OHM meter could be used.. but the resistance is so close to 0 that most meters cannot read it properly..  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 03/30/10 08:59 PM

greases and their uses..

silicone dielectric grease is used under ignition module as it is a thermal transmitting compound..  white transistor grease is   similar.. but with different materials..   it is important to NOT use dielectric tune up grease as a LUBE or anti seize.. its not.. it has dissolved beach sand in it..  when heated or put under mechanical stress.. it comes out and becomes sand..  locking what ever you put it on...

dielectric silicone grease has another use..   as a high voltage sealer..   a tiny dab inside a spark plug boot will seal the high voltage in...  on coil on plug ignitions..  it has to be used on both ends of the boots.. this prevents misfires from the high voltage leaking out to ground..

white lithium grease .. is used for brake backing plate lube.. caliper slides..  parking brake cables..  and comes in handy squeeze tubes..

there is a silicone product called SIL GLIDE.. it is used on brake caliper slides also.. it does not contain the thermal compounds...  it can be used to seal high voltage spark plug wires and boots...

perhaps.. somebody at the magazine will pick this up and write an article on the proper greases and where and where NOT to use them..
sil glide...  

jrw69
New User
Posted: 03/31/10 02:51 PM

waynep

Thanks for the info. I have been cleaning the holders with a brush and a little wd 40, then making sure the holders are dry and clean, then putting new fuses in carefully. So far so good and they are cleaning up well. I will stay away from the jelly and grease for the fuse holder.

jrw69