• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

door moldings for 79 mustang pace car.

jerrycrossjr
New User
Posted: 03/27/10 11:06 AM

I have been through 3 sets of door moldings on my 79 pace car.  I was told to take off the metal strips on the back of the moldings and they will go back on the car with double side 3m tape.  Everytime they have shrunk in size approx 2" and looks horable on the car.  With the metal in the moldings the ends want to push out.

help!  

Larry Beedle Jr.
New User
Posted: 11/29/13 07:48 PM

Mine have done the same thing. I'm in the process of finding reproduction door moldings. If I find some I will let you know. 3 sets of used moldings? If I can't find any repro moldings I will try taking the metal out of them and see if it works. Good luck  

Larry Beedle Jr.
New User
Posted: 11/29/13 07:49 PM

Mine have done the same thing. I'm in the process of finding reproduction door moldings. If I find some I will let you know. 3 sets of used moldings? If I can't find any repro moldings I will try taking the metal out of them and see if it works. Good luck  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/29/13 08:18 PM

if you have multiple sets of moldings...

and they are all too short..

you do have the ability to cut and splice them with proper glue and refinish the surface..

i don't recall what the material actually is..

is it a urethane rubber or a vinyl of some kind like car bumpers are made of..

i have not seen a 79 pace car in many many years.. but there are pictures of them around..

Mump 1012 04 %2B30th Annual Mustang Roundup%2B1979 Indianapolis 500 Pace Cars  

wayne712222
User
Posted: 11/29/13 08:32 PM

if they are urethane   ... try to find some dynatron bondo brand #660 urethane bumper repair kit... 3m discontinued it last year but some is still out there

its black .. its workable..

if the edges of the cut are clean enough.. it won't take very much to handle the sectioning..

you will want to use something like a miter box..and a miter saw so you can get really close to perfect cuts..

and if you don't think its strong stuff.. i have glued hard to get motor mounts that were torn while clean back together.. and have filled hollow motor mounts and torque struts with it in multiple layers and made them solid.  really firming them up..  think hondas.. and taurus and sable transmission torque struts.. over on the right side..

you might also take your pieces over to a plastic bumper repair shop...

you will need the EXACT length you need..  or a sample door or pair of doors..

you can make them out of regular sheet metal..

take some blue duct tape and lay it out on your door...  work the tape into the holes...  so you now have a pattern..  put some clear packaging tape over the blue.. then pull the blue off and transfer it to a piece of sheet metal.. so you don't change the length of the tape..  center or transfer punch the raw sheetmetal strip.. you can now drill the holes in the tape .. and you have a sample length of door.. for them to mount the strip too..