Shouldn't the starter spin connected to battery

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 03/25/10 06:07 AM

Yep - and without this great forum, we're pretty much on our own! Grin  

Gregski
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/02/10 05:44 PM

Took my old starter to Auto Zone today and had them test it. It ran great very strong. So it is good and I don't need a new starter. Now I don't know what the hell is going on. Someone pointed out that maybe using battery jumper cables I'm not making a good enough connection, well the machine at Auto Zone uses aligator clamps that are even smaller than the massive ones on my jumper cables and it works great. My friend works there and he showed me how he was hooking it up, basically the exact same way as I was at home.

I came home and took the battery out of my truck and put it on my garage floor, that way I could make a better connection on the top terminal posts without going over the existing terminals and things getting in the way. This time the starter spun slowly but the bendix did not jump forward.

I tried putting my battery charger on the battery set on AUTO START (as in boost the amps to start the car) and from there I ran the jumper cables to the starter and still the starter barely spun.

This is driving me crazy my dad and I used to test starters on the garage floor or in the appartment parking lot with our foot on them and they went zooom way fast, what the heck is up with this one.  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 04/02/10 08:53 PM

the starter takes about 150 amps to pull the plunger/slapper bar in...  

one it does this... the starter can spin...   it takes a LOT Of current to do it...  more than your battery charger can produce..

if you really want to test the starter.. pick up a pair of battery cables...  bolt the negative cable to the mounting lug on the starter...

i would get a  battery cable shut off switch.. thingy they sell at some parts stores.. fits on the post..  has a green knob..

here is one from harbor freight..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97853

run the other from the positive post switch to the side terminal on the starter.. when you tighten the knob.. the circuit will be complete.. and the starter will spin...

you also have to have a really good charge on the battery...  like i said.. it takes a lot to pull the slapper bar in .. it has to break a contact  under the side cover...  so all 4 windings get powered up...  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 04/02/10 08:59 PM

do you have a starter relay ????    3 battery cables...  some wire to ground the starter relay bracket to the negative battery...

or a much thicker pair of jumper cables...  6 gauge or 4 gauge.. with decent clamps...   and a fully charged battery..

12.65 volts is a fully charged battery..
12.45 volts is a half charged battery
12.25 volts is a quarter charged battery...  

braz
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/03/10 05:43 AM

I personally think the thing doesn't feel the need to start something that won't roll. Perhaps a car to go with it may help, but of course that's just an uneducated guess from one who gives their automobiles names. Happy Easter everyone!  Grin  

Gregski
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/03/10 07:16 AM

first of all thank you all for reading and offering your help I do learn a lot from you guys, and it's time to stop beating this dead horse so either it will spin today or I am getting a new one

going to pick n pull this morning to get some wiring and a starter relay, I will clean the monkey sweat off of my starter so it will have a super duper clean connection then like you suggest I will bolt on both the negative and the positive cables and flip the green switch and hold on to my underwear

that switch is a great idea, better than making sparks even  

Gregski
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/03/10 01:37 PM

So I went to a junk yard where I bought some battery cables among other things. I cleaned the heck out of the cables and bolted them on to the battery terminals and bolted the positive cable to the bolt on the starter. Then I tapped the neggative cable to the starter housing and whalla it spins like mad and the bendix jumps forward. I owe a beer to the guys who kept saying you must have a good connection and the battery cables may not be enough. Guys thank you very much for all your help this will be the last of this post I promise. Feels good to learn something and have it work.

See the picture of the Poor Man's Starter Bench Test Setup:

95065D1270329772 Shouldnt Starter Spin Connected Battery Starter Test  

krislou80
New User
Posted: 08/23/10 12:42 PM

I wonder your car starts if it has not a starter solenoid. check your connections correctly.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Best Electronics Parts, UNDERCAR NEON LIGHT KIT, COMPLETE KIT, WHITE -- Neon Illumination Adds Style To Your Ride Whether Driving Or Hanging Out, Can Also Be Used To Illuminate Under Hood, In Trunk Or Pick Up Bed, Affordable And Durable, Neon Tubes Are Encapsulated In High Impact Silicone For Maximum Protection From Road Conditions And The Elements, Kit Includes 2 - 36 Neon Tubes For The Front And Rear, And 2 - 48" Neon Tubes For The Sides, Tubes Have Built In Transformers, Wiring Connecting Blocks, Mounting Brackets, Extra Wiring, Hardware And Installation Instructions, Limited Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty Excluding Breakage