• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

INstalling a neutral safety switch

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/11/10 05:06 PM

I'm in the process of installing a new neutal safety switch in a 1966 mustang  with a C4 tranny. After removing the kickdown lever(?) that is on the same stud as the switch, does it simply bolt right in or is there an adjustment by putting  a small drill bit in the hole to align the  holes insdie the switch?

Currently, it only starts in neutral, but the back-up lights do not come on either.  I've tried to "jiggle" the old switch but to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/11/10 06:16 PM

OK, I've hooked it up, but still will not start in Park. I have to move the shift lever a bit in Neutral to get it to start and to get the back-up lights to come on. Reverse seems a little "off" as well when I shift it and when I go from reverse to park, there a short grinding of gears. It does not grind if I am in neutral and then put it all the way in Park. Is some shift lever off or is it still the switch not lining up properly?  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/11/10 06:16 PM

OK, I've hooked it up, but still will not start in Park. I have to move the shift lever a bit in Neutral to get it to start and to get the back-up lights to come on. Reverse seems a little "off" as well when I shift it and when I go from reverse to park, there a short grinding of gears. It does not grind if I am in neutral and then put it all the way in Park. Is some shift lever off or is it still the switch not lining up properly?  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 03/11/10 11:22 PM

the adjustment is done with the transmission in neutral...  

and you have to use a #43 drill ***

sometimes the new switches come with a pin in the hole..

here is a picture of it..

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/07/c2/b2/medium/0900c1528007c2b2.gif

be sure that you mount the cable in the bracket / holder so it does not wiggle around where it enters the neutral safety switch...  if it dangles... it will break off eventually if you don't...  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/12/10 07:42 AM

I've done the drill bit thing and no changes.  I am wondering if the manual shift rod needs to be adjusted instead. The shift lever doesn't seem to line up with the notches. For instance, when it first goes into neutral, it will not start, but if I slide it back a bit, it will.  Reverse seems to be a little out of whack as well.  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 03/12/10 10:10 AM

just curious....  did you get an exchange transmission????    there are dozens of different manual levers/shift shafts...

if you have one that is to long or to short... the shift ratio will be off...

cars can also flex when you jack them up...  

i would say to adjust it...

why not disconnect it or loosen it...  so you can set the neutral safety switch ...   then with some one sitting in the drivers seat...  have them hold the shifter in neutral ..   i am taking that you have a floor shift..  and that you have to push the button to get it from neutral into reverse..   adjust the shift rod so the trans is in neutral ..   then see if when the shifter is moved to park... that the transmission is all the way in park... don't forget the parking prawl is spring loaded.. so you might need the rear wheels in the air to get it properly into park..

if your shift levers don't match.. the most important thing.. it that it goes all the way into park...

is your shifter worn or sloppy???    how tight are the linkage bushings..???  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 03/12/10 01:59 PM

Wayne's right on track, s411k.  Doing what he says should help you out. jlg  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/12/10 02:24 PM

Did the manual shift rod adjustment and I got it to work now. Was about 1/8 inch off!
The tranny is the original. Matter of fact, everything but the paint and vinyl top was original.. Just converted it with new wiring, but never touched the neutral safety switch at all nor the shift rod.

I've got an original AC unit that I am willing to part with. Came with the car. One part on the compressor broke, where a hoie attaches to it. Other than that, it was running until that broke.  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/13/10 04:36 PM

Well, after adjusting the manual shift rod, now the thing starts in park and neutral, but the back-up lights don't work now.  Yesterday they worked fine, but I reconnected the connections and now the back-up lights don't come on.  I moved around the switch and nothing. It starts and all, but no lights. All the connections seem sound. Getting frustrated.  

s4141k
New User
Posted: 03/13/10 09:50 PM

OK, idiot check. Fuze was blown. All works now.  

krislou80
New User
Posted: 07/29/10 02:35 AM

depends on if you have the I6 or v8. It is a $20-30 part from the dealer and is located on the drivers side of the transmission. Some tranny fluid will come out so either do a fluid change at the same time or pick up some extra ATF+4 to replentish.

My FSM isn't giving much information to tell the location but go buy the part and look for one that matches, it is right above my tranny fluid pan about center 98 I6.

____________________________________________________________________________________
ARB PARTS BACK UP LIGHTS  

bass_gas
New User
Posted: 04/30/13 10:53 AM

My poroblem is a little different. My starter turns over no matter if the shifter (AT) is in P,N,R,D,D1,L. Is that correct. I do not think the neutral switch has been bypassed. The backup lights come on in 'R' and the cable enters the dash thru the firewall. I have not looked under the dash to see if it has been shorted at the firewall yet.  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 04/30/13 10:01 PM

what year// bass gas?

this is a 67 diagram...

see where the red and blue wires turn right and connect to the neutral safety switch connector.. inside the firewall is a male and female bullet connector those splice into...    when  the harness is jumped.. the cranking runs direct.. when it goes thru the back up light harness.. it goes to the neutral safety switch first before coming back inside the firewall to continue to the solenoid..

67Stangcolorwiringdiagram