• Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cylinder Head Corrosion

speedsta
New User
Posted: 05/31/10 02:37 PM

Guys,

Anyone come across what appears to be corrosion or metal fatigue
on the cylinder head where the top of the valves come through the head.
Didn't notice this when the valve springs were in place.

Anyone know how I can attach a photo so you can see my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Jay  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/31/10 04:24 PM

To post, your photo must have a URL (http address) You need Photobucket or Flickr or some online service. Then you can paste the URL in the space when you click on Image above.  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 05/31/10 06:38 PM

what kinds of heads are you talking about...

i am taking that this head is taken apart...    you have cleaned it....

do you have a machine shop near by.. to really clean it.. then magnaflux it.. and then pressure test it.????

magnaflux is where they take a big electro magnet..  place is in various positions on the head..  activate the magnet..  sprinkle fine ground iron filings that are coated in green color..

where cracks are in the item being tested...    the magnetic field will be broken where the crack is.. this causes the iron filings to line up along that spot...    it really works... its been done for decades..

pressure tesitng cylinder heads involves blocking off the coolant passages... without blocking the combustion chambers..    hooking up compressed air.. usually 30 pounds to pressurize the part.. then dunking it in a water bath...   any leaks will then be seen..

now...  on aluminum heads... you cannot magnaflux them...   they are not magnetic..

there are 3 spray can dye kits..  for finding cracks in aluminum and other metals..   clean the head totally... spray on the first can... wait a few minutes..  use another spray can to wash it off.. then a third spray that changes the color of any residual so its visible.. ...   the first cans stuff soaks into any cracks..  the second washes the surface ... the third causes any thats hiding to pop out at you..

some heads are known to crack in the same area...  so post a motor type.. and head casting numbers... you may find more help...  don't worry.. we won't laugh at you... or anything but give you a decent answer..

once in a while... the valve guides are pushed through the cooling system passages.. they are on big block chevys.. this is a design item.. not a mistake...  

speedsta
New User
Posted: 06/01/10 01:53 AM

Hi Wayne,

I understand what you are saying but this is a slightly different issue. Could I send you a photo?

Jay  

speedsta
New User
Posted: 06/01/10 01:53 AM

See above  

jlg2002
Guru
Posted: 06/02/10 01:03 PM

Icon Quotespeedsta:
Guys,

Anyone come across what appears to be corrosion or metal fatigue
on the cylinder head where the top of the valves come through the head.
Didn't notice this when the valve springs were in place.

Anyone know how I can attach a photo so you can see my problem?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

any chance it is discoloration from the spring shims? (photo bucket is a good service to use for photos) jlg