• Back Issues
  • Personalized Cover
  • Subscribe to a Magazine
Item Posts    Sort Order

Won't start following year long storage

smileysue74
New User
Posted: 08/29/10 04:17 PM

I never had any problems with my 2003 GT, she was the perfect car until I left her in storage for a year. Someone borrowed the battery and never replaced it so I didn't her engine at all during that year. Now the battery has been replaced and I've filled it with fresh gasoline but she won't start. I've tried jump starting her and although she made some noises at first she isn't making any noises now, not even attempting to start. It's like the battery isn't working or she isn't getting adequate gas intake.  Someone suggested that I replace the fuel pump.  I don't know what to do, she is all I have left of the life I use to have and I love her so much; even if I was convinced to sell her, I wouldn't be able to get much since she won't start. She's got less than 40 000 miles on her and besides her shredding tires, she's still totally beautiful.  Help me, please... tell me what to do Confused

why are yall reading but not commenting?  Tell me I am in the wrong place and shouldn't bother posting this kind of problem if that's the case. say something, please.. what if you knew i was a drop dead, gorgeous red head?  Would you comment then?  HOw about if I had a more basic problem like my turn signal sticks, then would you comment?  Help me out here, I'm just trying to do what I can but I need some direction, please.. I'm just a girl..  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 08/29/10 08:03 PM

first.. the views counter... there are web bots who search these forums every few minutes... looking for new info...   each visit is actually counted by the counter...

i have a friend.. who teenager set up his home computer to play an online game...  the computer played the game 24-7... for weeks. then months...  learning as it went... until it had the highest score...  at that point... somebody payed him a LOT of cash for his user name and account...

now back to your mustang..

there are a bunch of individual systems that all have to work for the engine to start and then run....

lets start with the battery.. and cables....    do you have a digital volt meter?????

how about a wire brush to clean the terminals...  yes.. i know its a new battery.. i am talking about the cable terminals...   they get dirty .. the lead turns hard when exposed to oxygen and electricity with a little acid... turns it to lead oxide...  an insulator...  

take the cables back off... clean them with a wire brush and HOT water...

then see if the engine will crank...    once you get it to crank with the key.. then we can look at other systems...

i am taking that you have a 4.6 V8 motor...

see if you can get it to crank....    if it still does not start... there are more things to ***

i do check in here as do a LOT of others...  

there are also some magazines on this site that are devoted to the later mustangs like you have..
but you are still welcome here..  

mustang50magazine.com
and
 musclemustangfastfords.com

are the other magazines that do a lot of later model stuff..  

smileysue74
New User
Posted: 08/29/10 08:39 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.  Laugh I understand what you are saying about the bots, thank you for clarifying that for me, I really appreciate it.
I will make sure to follow your advice regarding the cleaning of the cable terminals but I think they are pretty clean.
I will be sure to check back in tomorrow and let you know how it went.
Thank you again. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

~Smileysue74  

bandon08mitchell
New User
Posted: 08/31/10 04:16 PM

Check your ignition system.  
Oil Pressure Gauge

geenoGT
New User
Posted: 09/01/10 07:14 AM

Take the battery to an Auto parts store.  They'll check the battery.  If it's ok make sure it's fully charged.  While you're at the auto parts store buy some starting fluid and a battery terminal cleaner tool.

Before you put the battery back in check and make sure the cable connection points are ALL tight, not just the ends that connect to the battery.  If there is corrosion on the battery cables clean with baking soda, water and scrub w/tooth brush.  Clean with plenty of water and then use the battery post cleaner.  Always do the above if when you turn the key it just clicks.  Install the battery.

Somewhere where you can easily gain axcess to the air intake,(You can loosen the tube that goes to the throttle body or loosen the air filter area.  It's a process of removing/partially removing something in the intake side where air goes in, squirting the starting fluid in then quickly pushing the hose/box back on - reinstalling whatever was taken off, you can tighten it down later.)  Now go crank over the car.  It should start.  And remember don't give it any gas until it is running.  

cushman350
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/01/10 10:29 AM

Is the fuel pump working? Do you have the correct pressure at the fuel rails? Are the injectors getting current?  

smileysue74
New User
Posted: 12/12/10 04:36 AM

Hi.. haven't been ignoring any of the posts..  Smirk I appreciate all of you who took the time to offer help.  It's just that I can't do any of this stuff myself.. I'm just a girl.. lol, well that's no excuse.. how bout I'm a girl with an inoperable spinal injury...  Frown
I was hoping to get some help so I was trying to gain all the info I could before he came over but I don't think that is goin to happen... but I need to figure something out bc we are moving in a few weeks.. to Las Vegas.. I don't have a choice, I don't want to be living on the streets with 2 dogs, lol.
But my mom doesn't want to have my car taken if it doesn't work.   Shocked
Doesn't she understand that it's something minor?  And if I sell it now, it won't be worth much if it doesn't start... I don't want to sell my pony though.. this has been the best car I've ever had.. just as fast and powerful as my former z3 roadster but so much more comfortable and not falling apart.
So.. I appreciate your help, everyone. I copied all the postings and saved it to a doc just in case I do get someone coming by here to help me out.
Have a happy holiday season and a Happy New Year. Grin  

waynep7122
Guru
Posted: 12/12/10 07:43 PM

ok.    what town do you live in now....   perhaps somebody who lives nearby could take a look at it..

dirty battery cables...  missing parts...   so many small things...  

years ago,,, one of the people down the block came over and ask me to look at her van.. somebody had stolen the battery.. she had replaced the battery cables... and it still would not start...  i went and took a look... the starter wire was hanging...   they had stolen the starter...  this was on a 69 E300 302 with 3 on the tree...
as i finished up the install of the replacement starter and was washing my hands...  another guy stopped by..  he had an 86 F250 six with a manual transmission...   he was telling me that his battery had been stolen and the cables cut also... but his would not start either... when i ask about the starter.. as hers had also been stolen.. he went to check.. yep gone also...   i started laughing..  and they wondered why... somebody was obviously stranded.. the had an automatic ford and could not get it started... the only 2 fords in the area that were high enough to get the starters off easily in the middle of the night.. was these 2 stick shift models..  but.. in case the readers here did not know..  the automatic and stick shift versions use different starters..
the pinion gear does not extend far enough forward on an manual transmission starter to properly engage the flywheel... so it will just sit there and grind away...   i know this must have been the problem.. as if they had a stick shift.. they could have just push started it..

autozone .com if you join and log in.. will have several sections on trouble shooting no starts on your car...

if the battery cables were ever hooked up backwards.. it will have blown a big fuse or fusible link.. preventing some circuits from getting the proper power...

if you follow the battery positive wire down to the starter relay.. you can get the engine to crank at that spot..

find somebody who knows fords...

does it crank when you turn the key...

yes or no....

are the battery cables clean..  use hot water... and a scotch bright pad... take the cables off.. clean the surfaces where they touch the battery posts.. if any corrosion.. wash it off and clean until you get bright metal... the crispy stuff on battery posts is lead oxide.. an insulator..  

smileysue74
New User
Posted: 05/03/13 09:12 AM

The fuel pump and fuel filter were replaced.all fluids were flushed and new fluids added...car runs perfect now. Only cost $300
And she's as good as new. I don't want to sell her...but I need money so I can have my stuff shipped back to me  

waynep712222
User
Posted: 05/04/13 07:25 AM

whoo hoo...  cool...

sounds like its time to play mustang sally on the stereo system..  

MustangRoger
New User
Posted: 06/18/13 08:08 AM

Glad to hear you are up and running..